The Cosy Travels of the Viking and his Kitten: Magleby


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Sjælland » Køge
June 9th 2011
Published: June 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This is without any doubt my favorite place in Denmark: Magleby. It's a small village, not so far from Koge, a port town, about 40 km to the south west of Copenhagen. There are no museums here, no art galleries, no monuments, no fancy restaurants, so it isn't mentioned in any travel guide. And still this place enchants me every time I am there ...

In order to understand why I love Magleby so much, you have to know that there is an important difference between the Belgian and the Danish coastline. We Belgians have only about 60 km of coast, Denmark has about thousands of kilometers of beaches. Whenever there is a bit of sunshine, half of the Belgians rush to the sea, so that most of the coastal towns tend to be overcrowded. In Denmark this is the case around some of the bigger towns, but there a lot of beaches where there is peace and quiet.

The beach of Magleby is only known to the local population. There are hardly any road signs, so you have to ask someone in the village ... He or she will tell you that you have to drive through a forest and after a couple of kilometers you will see an open space where you can park your car and where you can catch the first glimpse of the sea. The first time I did this drive, I was absolutely speechless. The Belgian coast is completely full with very high ugly hotels and apartment buildings. And the fact that here - on the east coast of Denmark - you first have this wood and then the beach ... that was so thrilling! No ugly buildings, no crowds, just one of the purest landscapes I have ever seen. Every time we visit Denmark, we go to Magleby, so you will certainly see pictures of it regularly :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb