Back to Denmark after Iceland and the Faroe Islands - 14 July - Horsens


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Midtjylland » Horsens
July 18th 2014
Published: July 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Back to Denmark after Iceland and the Faroe Islands - 14 July

After a very calm journey back from the Faroe Islands, we hit Hirtshals 45 minutes late as we had to wait for another car ferry to finish unloading and loading as they had our position in the harbour. We drove off and headed down along the eastern coast of Denmark's Jutland Island to Horsens.

This is another town where some friends of Tea's lived but we could not contact them. We were not stopping over night as we wanted to get to Odense on the island of Funen.

Horsens city population is about 56,000 and it was a lovely city to walk and drive around. Horsens lies at the end of Horsens Fjord in eastern Jutland. The city is surrounded by typical moraine (left by glacier) landscape with low hills and valleys created by glaciers during the last ice ages.

The earliest traces of a city are remains of a pagan burial site and houses dating back to the 10th century. Excavations have shown that the city was expanded around 1300 with a moat going around the city and its harbour. From the middle of the 19th century industrialisation started and the population rose dramatically when people from the countryside moved to the city to work in the factories. The city is currently undergoing a positive development with new industry moving to Horsens, or expanding their activities already in Horsens. A lot of electronics and graphical companies are based there. We also learned the city has a pretty good University also.

We walked down the pedestrian mall and then drove along the waterways, looking at their marina and all the facilities along the shore. My computer was not connecting to the WiFi so I found a computer shop who fixed the problem in an instant - one of the drivers had to be switched off!



After the obligatory coffee and look around, we headed for Odense, feeling a little disappointed that we couldn't catch up with Tea's friends who so generously offered to have us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Horsens DenmarkHorsens Denmark
Horsens Denmark

Throughout Denmark we saw these traffic lights. The smaller ones is for bikes. The larger lights is for cars. A great system.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb