Helsingor


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Helsinge
August 21st 2012
Published: August 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Time to get out of the city today. It is our first completely free day on our 3+ weeks of tour. Copenhagen has redeemed itself after the rubbish of the first day but we are a bit over the crowds, the dust and the heat.

Having said that it is cooler and much more pleasant today.

We jump on a local suburban train at Vesterbro station. Every ticket selling machine is broken which isn't a very good sign. We jump off at the next station because we have to change to another line (and get a ticket). The on-platform 7 eleven sells tickets and a 24 hour pass costs just under $20. On to a suburban train to the end of the line at Klampenborg; then onto to a regional train to Helsingor. 50km in about 45 minutes all up. The system is easy to navigate; all platforms and carriages have indicators as to where you are and where you are going.

Helsingor is a bit of a surprise. It is a medieval city of about 50,000 people, with the classic narrow winding old town centre. A beautiful castle on the headland just outside of town. A 500 year old Lutheran church which is sublimely beautiful albeit austere compared to a Catholic cathedral. All is visitable on foot. We have decided that small town tourism is infinitely more attractive than big city tourism! I might write a travel guide "Unforgettable small towns of Europe". Now all I need is a large advance from a publisher. Maybe Donna can introduce me to someone.

Helsingor is the closest point to Sweden, and ferries cross between Helsingor and Helsinborg on the other side of the strait in Sweden. It's a popular destination from Sweden because liquor is much cheaper in Denmark! The first four shops we pass are bottleshops! Stroll, stroll, stroll. It is a much more European feeling than Copenhagen. The classic delis and butcheries and bakeries are all there (why can't Australia do foodshops like these?)

Anyway, afternoon it is back to Copenhagen on the train in time for our farewell dinner. We are off to Alberto K http://www.alberto-k.dk/uk/menu.html one of the swankiest restaurants in Denmark. What to wear....?

Tomorrow is home time. Our plane leaves at 10pm, but we have a late checkout so we can do something (maybe another train trip) and still have a chance to freshen up after!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb