Copenhagen


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 3rd 2017
Published: July 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning we docked just outside of Copenhagen. What started out as a promising day weather wise - with sun and blue skies - gradually changed over the course of the day into intermittent showers - light and heavy and usually JUST after I had put my coat or umbrella away. Needless to say I can firmly state my new jacket IS water proof!! We decided to do Copenhagen independently but had booked a free walking tour through Sandeman's. After breakfast we caught the 8:30 ship shuttle bus into town and found the meeting place for our tour. The guide was a character - full of wry humour - and he told interesting stories of the history of Copenhagen which involved lots of burning of buildings - fires and drunken firefighters. We walked through the central city which included cobblestone streets, typical Danish/Nordic architecture, harbours with boats and some royal palaces - and lots of pedestrian only shopping streets. Everyone rides - or at least parks - their bikes here and commutes by metro. They have a great bike path system here and I see glimmers of it appearing on the streets of Toronto with dedicated bike lanes. One area which we wished we had gone to is Christiana area of Copenhagen which is actually a 'free' autonomous area of alternative lifestyles. However, after our walking tour and lunch - late - our time was short so we returned back to the ship.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb