Another Busy Day! And no Tivoli today.


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
June 24th 2014
Published: July 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Because we woke up relatively late, and rain was forecast for Roskilde and sun for Copenhagen, we changed our plans. We made today all about Copenhagen. First, we headed to the National Museum, but learned it was free so decided to save it for Thursday when our CPH Card expires. From there, we grabbed a bus to the Danish Design museum. Over half the museum was currently dedicated to Hans Wegman and his famous chairs. I am a fan, so I enjoyed the museum, but I was the only one. We then started the walk back to Nyhavn, but on the way, we serendipitously ran into the changing of the guard at Amalienborg. The guards were walking by in formation, so we followed them into the palacial courtyard, and watched them change guards for a while. I never would have planned to be there on-time, but the spectacle was cool having stumbled upon it. From there, we discovered the water-side fountain (turns out K. loves fountains) and gardens, and wandered about aimlessly lost until we found Nyhavn. Google Maps on my phone has awful GPS. It is great for figuring out transportation options but terrible at walking directions given the errors.

It was such a beautiful day (almost 65 degrees) that I was able to take off my coat and expose my bare arms. It felt great! Nyhavn was a great place for a stroll and a sit (by the canal-side). It was probably the busiest place we've seen in Copenhagen. We then took the Metro to Fredericksberg.

Now, we really wanted to go to the zoo after visiting the park there, but the Metro didn't take us very close and we probably walked even more walking in circles with poor GPS on my iPhone. Still, we finally made it to the Frederiksberghave, and strode through it on the way to the zoo. The CPH zoo is one of the oldest in the world, but it doesn't look like it. It's very modern, with no obstructions in views of the animals. It reminded me of the Munich zoo (I'm a zoo-lover and see zoos wherever I can). We particularly enjoyed seeing the polar bears so up close, the elephants, and strangely enough for Kai, the rhinos.

Tonight, we're self-catering our meal from the local Fotex and eating on our balcony. Bon appetite! Thriftiness tastes so good.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb