A festive break to (den)mark the occasion!


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
December 24th 2016
Published: April 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Christmas stress can be alleviated by the fortunate few who are able to get away for the festive period, so a 3-night stay in Copenhagen was on the cards, with a whirlwind tour pencilled in for Christmas Day coupled with anything else which could be thrown into the equation, even at the last minute. The Danish capital is Scandinavia's southernmost capital city, and owing to its geographical location, could even be considered the 'gateway to Scandinavia', so the centrally-located Ansgar hotel was a wise choice of location for a short break which took place in a period of commercial inactivity (i.e most shops closed) for the Danish capital city. Starting the city itinerary, the route followed past the National Museum and Christiansborg Palace, before reaching the island of Christianshavn, which is the location of the early 1970's-established hippy enclave of Christiania. Christiania is perhaps Denmark's most unique spot in that it is an entirely vehicle-free zone in which colourful wall murals seem to adorn just about every wall in the area, and the emphasis on free-spirited living is evident in the kinds of facilities which have been created in the area. An indoor skate park seemed to add weight to the 'alternative lifestyle' nature of the area, and the sale of soft drugs also hinted at a past where Christiania was chosen as the location in which class B drugs could be sold and consumed legally to prevent the spread of soft drugs city-wide. A couple more stop offs in this funky alternative zone, and the next part of the itinerary led towards Nyhavn (New Harbour) where colourful buildings also abound (minus the wall art), all of which flank the harbour where yachts are moored. A short walk beyond the streetside end of Nyhavn, and you're facing the grandoise-looking Hotel d'Angleterre, a mighty fine looking hotel which on this occasion had turned itself into a festive facade of alluring proportions. Heading north, and you'll reach Amalienborg Palace, with its sentry guards on duty and open plaza from which a 360 rotation will reveal regal opulence on all sides. Slightly further north still, and you're at the sight by which most visitors identify the city, the iconic little mermaid, with a shaky past of having been decapitated twice, and on one occasion pushed into the waters behind it - the work of true vandals for sure. If you're looking for another piece of truly grand architecture, then look no further than Rosenburg Castle. A royal hermitage set in the King’s Garden in the heart of Copenhagen, Rosenborg Castle features 400 years of splendor, royal art treasures and the Crown Jewels and Royal Regalia. Shopping malls do not appear to be part of the equation in downtown Copenhagen, although this is compensated for by the existence of Stroget, officially Europe's longest pedestrian street, and a street where shopping options abound, albeit at prices more representative of the overall high Danish cost of living. One entertainments zone which has been around for decades on end is Tivoli Gardens, where locals and tourists alike enjoy a stroll through theme-parkesque attractions, stalls, and iconic buildings, some with a Far Eastern appearance. Tivoli Gardens was founded in 1843 and has become a national treasure and an international attraction. Fairy tale writer Hans Christian Andersen visited many times, as did Walt Disney and many other celebrities, who all fell in love with the gardens. Unless you are seriously missing the point, it is not altogether difficult to see how and why the appeal is so universal. The rest of Copenhagen city should make perfect enough sense in context, and there is sufficient evidence to suggest why the city appears on very many top ten world's liveable city lists, and attracts visitors all year round to discover the highlights of a nation famed for pastries, lego, Carlsberg, Hans Christian Anderson and every variety of topping you could possibly place on an open sandwich!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb