Visitor #22 come (to riot town)


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
March 3rd 2007
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 55.6763, 12.5681

The riots continued again on Friday night and there was a few burnt out cars this time and the air was savager, C did a 4am walk as the noise was so bad (while I was in my usual sleep through an earthquake mode), it was expected to go on a 3rd night but we didn't see any more, apparently other parts of town had it though and there was sympathy demos in the rest of Scandinavia and Germany.

So our girlfriend BME arrived on Sat. afternoon to witness peaceful demos in Radhusplads and we had coffee with a good view of it and then a walk home to show her all the fire sites! And then later we were reluctantly served dinner in "Mama Africa" by nervous staff but there was no trouble that night on our streets so they needn't have worried. It was business as usual in Blågardsapotek with a jazz band and all playing, so we settled in there and all was quiet when walked home at 2am only it was a bit foggy and all the overhead street lights were out (riot related?) so it was a bit spooky.

Sunday was a gorgeous sunny day (the snow from last weeks travel nightmare being gone) so we had a great view of the city from the Roundtower and drank coffee to try not be h/o, walked done to the Kings Library and Black Diamond and back up to the changing of the guard at 4pm and then along the water to the Little Mermaid. Then back along the ramparts at Kastellet, up antique shop road Bregade only to discover what I thought (for about 3 years) was a catholic catherdral is in fact the Lutheran marble church, d'oh! Down to Nyhavn for a couple of rum hot chocolates, down to Christiania and an obligatory beer in Woodstock & nice dinner in a very quiet Spiseloppen and an oogle at the cool bike shop. Had the show the visitor the cool driverless metro so she even got film footage and then after all that walking and stuffing ourselves we pretty much collapsed on the couch (well I did).

Monday was pissing (good excuse to buy the coolest old fashioned umbrella) so I went to work while the visitor did retail therapy, we met up for coffee at 3pm and had a pretty foodie afternoon. Then C cooked us gorgeous Indian dinner while we watched my current 2 favourite american series "Grey's Anatomy" and "Brothers and Sisters" and then we had a nice wine and masala tea filled night. I took Tues a.m. off to hangout and show her 'our' graveyard (all visitors for last 11 months have been made go there by us to see HC Anderens grave) but due to riots it was shut very disappointing (for me !) but we did see the demolishing of the riot causing Ungdomhuset. Then I dropped little BME off for the aiport bus with one of our luggages so another 16kg of our stuff gone home hurray .......

Some photos

Copenhagen City Photos

Advertisement



Tot: 0.397s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb