Goodbye to the Czech Republic


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
September 11th 2015
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.1911, 16.6114

We departed today from Prague to Vienna with a stop in Brno. This town strikes us as a functional, workman city. Everything has a purpose, with little architectural elaboration. This will be especially apparent in the castle, while the Cathedral is more ornate.

Nonetheless, there is considerable history here. Both the Cathedral and Castle were constructed in the 13th Century. The latter eventually descending into a dungeon. It was used in this way from the 18th century onward, including Napoleon and the Nazis.

As a summary, our opinion of the Czech people is mixed. For a point of reference, the English are very pleasant, helpful folk with the occasional street beggar; not terribly different from the USA, except they apparently have more pride in their country as they keep it cleaner. Germany is an extremely clean place. The people are task oriented, and can be abrupt but we have always liked them a lot. In the Czech Republic people can be friendly and helpful, but also rude, indifferent, and we get a sense of "what's in it for me".

We should also note the apt in Prague is the worst we have experienced. And poor cry baby Fred seems overly influenced by his living environment, as he whines that it was much worse than the pleasant accommodations in Vienna, which is in an old building with high ceilings, marble and parquet flooring, all is some contrast to Prague where he would not take off his shoes.

Now a bit about the drive from Brno to Vienna. After escaping the nightmarish traffic in Brno and arriving in Austria, the scenery became quite pleasant. There were extensive vineyards and sun flowers to be harvested for their seeds in gently rolling hills. Roads became better and a few quaint towns, just lovely. Also there were a great many giant windmills. We wondered why there is not more green energy in the USA. Germany also has them.

Tomorrow we visit the massive Hofburg Palace, including attending a show of the Lipizzaners at the Spanish Ridding School. Hope to take pictures. Till then, take care.

Advertisement



11th September 2015

Sheila, did you take your shoes off? What did you order to eat after studying the menu?Hayesville has lots of solar panels and people complain about them.
11th September 2015

Hey "Bird" hope you are having a great time!!!
12th September 2015

I have enjoyed all the wonderful architect. It was good to hear that your alsoseeing some wonderful flowers ,and outside features. I could really enjoy all the dogs,good food and cheap wine.

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb