Day Nine - Feldman Meets Veldman


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Still living on the cheap we didn’t partake of the 9.50 Euro breakfast buffet. I was in a hurry to check on our van parked out on the street. The night before, the hotel clerk advised us to pay to park in the hotel lot, but seeing that others had parked on the street I figured “what the heck”. Once again we were lucky - no tickets, no tire boot and no dents or scratches. Once we had c... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

What a Unique Photo!What a Unique Photo!
What a Unique Photo!

We must've done this exact same type of shot at every castle, church and scenic overlook we encountered in Europe. This one actually came out alright though. This is looking over the opposite side of the gallery wall.
Downtown Cesky KrumlovDowntown Cesky Krumlov
Downtown Cesky Krumlov

Seeing this photo now makes me think of how pretty the town looks on this sunny day with snow just dusting the scene, but at the time we were freezing our tuchises off.
Rooftops of Cesky KrumlovRooftops of Cesky Krumlov
Rooftops of Cesky Krumlov

Cassie and I stayed on top of the big wall while Gen, Gail and Tyler continued the ascent up the hill overlooking the town. I could tell from where I was standing that there wasn't anything to see in that more modern section. No sense in tiring myself out. They were soon back where we started.
The Upper TownThe Upper Town
The Upper Town

The road up through the castle headed further uphill to the area on top of that hill. There didn't seem to be any scenic buildings that way which does seem odd since that part of the town overlooks the river. Why wasn't there a castle or fortifications up there on higher ground?
Love the 10X Zoom LensLove the 10X Zoom Lens
Love the 10X Zoom Lens

Peering over the wall I was able to spot this indigenous wild creature roaming the banks of the river.
Backside's BackBackside's Back
Backside's Back

Gail took this picture of the back of the castle in Cesky Krumlov. Looking straight down we were about 60 feet above our parking lot here.
Castle SundialCastle Sundial
Castle Sundial

When we finally had our fill of photo taking at the top of the castle, we started back downhill headed for the town. In one of the courtyards this sundial stood on the castle wall.
Pathetic Little Christmas TreePathetic Little Christmas Tree
Pathetic Little Christmas Tree

I've noticed that most publicly displayed Christmas trees we've seen in Northern Europe were a bit scraggly. Whether in a church, historic building or twon square they were usually rather unhealthy and meager looking. Perhaps Europeans don't believe in chopping down normal healthy trees.
A Hale and Hearty LunchA Hale and Hearty Lunch
A Hale and Hearty Lunch

It wasn't so much that we were hungry when we left the castle grounds; it was more of a chance to escape the cold when we detoured into a little cafe on the main street of the lower town. This was my idea of a healthy lunch - Urquell beer and a chocolate covered marshmallow.
We're Gonna Have to Climb All the Way Back Up There?We're Gonna Have to Climb All the Way Back Up There?
We're Gonna Have to Climb All the Way Back Up There?

I didn't even want to think about the climb back up hill to get to this part of the castle entrance followed by the decent down the other side.
Whew!  That Beer Was Stronger Than I Thought!Whew!  That Beer Was Stronger Than I Thought!
Whew! That Beer Was Stronger Than I Thought!

I seem to have been a mite tipsy after leaving the cafe and continuing our exploration of the town. Either that or the bridge veered steeply downhill.
Crossing the VlatavaCrossing the Vlatava
Crossing the Vlatava

On the other side of the bridge the steadier Gail took this shot of the castle. In nicer weather this is probably the focal point of the outdoor dining experience.
The Town SquareThe Town Square
The Town Square

As small as Krumlov was they still had a decent-sized cental market square. A number of restaurants and a hotel were located here. We had just missed the Christmas Market.
Looking Back Into the Town SquareLooking Back Into the Town Square
Looking Back Into the Town Square

After leaving the square we were back climbing uphill toward the opposite end of town.
Horni StreetHorni Street
Horni Street

We took a few minutes to walk through a little church off to the side of the street we were climbing. It was a cute but unimpressive church. I hadn't even remembered it until I just took a look at a map of Krumlov. It was the St. Vitus Church, one of the town landmarks. I didn't deem it worthy of a photo. What do I know?
Another Gander at the Castle of Cesky KrumlovAnother Gander at the Castle of Cesky Krumlov
Another Gander at the Castle of Cesky Krumlov

We reached the top of the hill where there was a little garden park on a terrace. It gave us one more vantage point over the Old Town.
Look at the TouristsLook at the Tourists
Look at the Tourists

Tyler came up with this idea when we were in the garden park: He set his camera on top of a garbage can then set the timer. Then we had to scramble into the picture frame. His came out well. This is the best of Gail's 4 efforts.
Zoom zoom zoomZoom zoom zoom
Zoom zoom zoom

I get a little carried away with my zoom capabilities on my Sony DSC-H2 camera.
Waiting on GailWaiting on Gail
Waiting on Gail

Unfortunately for us Gail found one of the few open shops in this part of town and proceeded to inspect every square inch of the tiny shop. We tried to stay warm by running back and forth across the street.
Another Sickly TreeAnother Sickly Tree
Another Sickly Tree

Gail was still shopping when I decided to explore one of the plazas jutting back off Horni street. This courtyard is part of a very nice hotel. I killed time gazing through the windows watching the chefs prepare dinner.
At the End of the RoadAt the End of the Road
At the End of the Road

Once I started to feel like a Peeping Tom watching the cooks, I walked up to the city gate at the end of the road. This building was also some sort of overnight accomodations. I think it was a hostel.



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb