Venturing outside the city...


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pesky LandcruisersPesky LandcruisersPesky Landcruisers

(Yes gigantic cars do exist in CZ but they are rare)
With the first familiar faces in town (Alli’s Aunt & Uncle, Lyn & Gary) we took the opportunity to get out of Prague. They had already done the tour group version of Prague and cruised through Russia etc so I think they were just glad that we knew nothing about our surroundings and therefore couldn’t point out everything “to the left you will see …. blah blah blah… more very old buildings”. However there were curious piles of wooden things (a bit like pallets) in piles along the sides of the highway so we would have liked a tour guide to explain that to us…

Anyway, we headed to the place every tourist goes if they have a chance to get out of Prague - Cesky Krumlov. It’s a 2.5 hour drive from Prague so everyone thought we were a bit mad for going there for the day but… we’re Australian!! We used to drive over 3 hours to Melbourne to go shopping for the day or 6 hours each way to Albury for the weekend!

Cesky Krumlov is basically just a smaller, cuter version of Prague, with surprisingly fewer crowds - perhaps due to the forecast of rain.
The tower high on the hill The tower high on the hill The tower high on the hill

(but no lonely goats)


It’s a medieval town with the castle high on the hill surrounded on 3 sides by the river (the Vltava which continues to/from? Prague) and with the streets meandering down and around from there. And strangely there are 3 huge bears (they were brown so does that make them brown bears?) living down in the moat of the castle.
We climbed the 162 steps to the top of the Round Tower for the most amazing view of the town and countryside - and were also once again amazed at how cheap the Czech Republic can be with an admission price of 35 Kc each (about $2). After wandering through the streets we took the tip from Anthony’s boss and found “U Dwa Maryi” (the Two Marys) right on the river bank and had a huge feast including local beer for about $9 each!

After torturing the men by visiting every second little shop, we were all a bit exhausted so headed home. On the way we caught up with the rain and then dropped Lyn & Gary back at their hotel to continue their Central & Eastern European adventure - next stop Nuremberg.

As for us we’ll
View from the towerView from the towerView from the tower

You can see the little green kayaks down on the river - although when it gets a bit warmer apparently lilos are the most popular transport down the river.
definitely be heading back over the ‘summer’ (listen to me - I sound like an American already! Next I’ll be saying ‘vacation’!!!) to go camping and kayaking down the river.

Otherwise the next trip for us in a few weeks is a holiday (not vacation ) to Cannes in the south of France.

Steph


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

View from the tower 2View from the tower 2
View from the tower 2

At the bottom of the pic are the tables on the river where we had lunch.
Gary & LynGary & Lyn
Gary & Lyn

At the top of the Round Tower after about 162 steps.
Lunch! Lunch!
Lunch!

Medieval feast for 4 overlooking the Vltava.


4th June 2007

Sounds great . . .
Hey ! Sounds great ! So the passing parade of visitors has started ! With this experience, and the history of long distance travel you mentioned, next we'll be hearing of a career change ! Count me in before the price gets out of reach !
4th June 2007

Cesky Krumlov!
Haha it looks like Anthony had scoffed his lunch down before anyone else had a chance to start!!
4th June 2007

HEY!
HEY! the food in the middle was everyones and then we all had our own individual (empty) plates. Ya cheeky little so and so. Besides I'm comfortable with my fatuality...
9th June 2007

Oh no obviously I am too English - because I don't get what's wrong about saying over the summer????
11th June 2007

Lilos on Rivers
Interesting that you mention lilos on the river being a popular mode of transport. Here in Wagga Wagga in the summer it is popular too on the Murumbidgee. Although with a local custm possibly not seen in the czech republic .... quite often a portable foam esky is towed behind for beverages!
2nd July 2007

Shopping....
And what's wrong with going to Melbourne to shop? I've given up on the shops in Nowra/Culburra and am heading south to do some shopping myself! Oh, and I'm also visiting my sister for her baby shower while I'm there!! The kids all loved your photos - Sam pointed to the screen and declared straight away "Anthony and Steph!!" We all think the houses etc in the photos look like more of lego land! As for vacation vs holidays, I think you go on a vacation while you're on holidays!! And by the way, we've had so much rain down here that you could lilo to school - the joys of living in a small town with no kerb and gutters!

Tot: 0.492s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb