Georgia - Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
December 31st 2016
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.0878, 14.4205

A bitterly cold day in Prague, making it hard to get going this morning.We started off with a walk across Charles Bridge which was fresh but very pretty. Then we went to the main square and the Astronomical clock. The square was packed with Christmas markets and people. A special highlight was trying the funnel cakes, which are traditional, and are pretty much donut mixture cooked in a funnel shape and rolled in sugar!Our tour started at the base of the Astronomical Clock but didn't see it chime – our guide did do a pretty good impression of what the guides in Munich call “the number 1 most overrated tourist attraction in the world”! We then walked past many beautiful old buildings, including a concert hall where Mozart played. By, this point we were really enjoying our handwarmers. We'd bought them in ALDI in Switzerland, and they work so that when you crack the bit of metal inside them in starts a reaction which releases heat. Then in the evening we put them in boiling water and they are ready the next day!We walked past the Jewish Ghetto which I found really interesting as we learnt about the Holocaust in RE and History this year, with a particular focus on Terezin – the concentration camp just outside Prague.We ended near the Charles Bridge and Matthew was really fascinated by the guide's concluding story about the Czech president stealing the Prime Minister stealing the Prime Minister of Chile's pen!!We had a late lunch and then returned to the apartment as the fog and got denser. After a rest Mum, Dad and I headed out to explore the New Year's Eve atmosphere but the boys and Grandad decided to stay at home in the warmth. We had another stroll along the Charles Bridge and then went to watch the Astronomical Clock chime – our guide was right!! The characters move and there is a joust but it was a bit disappointing. I did really enjoy watching all the tourists continue to film the chiming after it had finished!! We warmed up with a hot chocolate for me and a mulled wine for Mum and Dad and then headed back to the apartment.We had been warned about the difficulties of getting a table and had seen the crowds increasing so Mum and Dad went to the grocery store and bought pasta to eat at home. We played a rowdy game of UNO and then went to bed.At midnight however Mum, Dad and I were woken by the sound of the fireworks – they were setting them off the roof of the building next to us! We were able to see the fireworks over the Charles Bridge from the window of our apartment (all the stairs were worth it in the end) and stand in front of the radiator at the same time!!! A wonderful start to 2017!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb