Day 8


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
July 17th 2006
Published: July 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was a long day and our first day of not having classes. After not getting a lot of sleep last night (some of the group went to a club and when they came home I got up and talked to them for several hours--finally going to bed at 4 a.m. or so), we slept in today, which was quite nice! We got ready, but unfortunately, there is no hot water. Actually, there is no hot, warm, lukewarm, room temperature, or cold water. There is only freezing ice water. Taking a shower sort of makes you feel like you're in the movie Titanic.

Anyway, after defying death and frostbite in the shower (I was shivering when I got out, I kid you not), the five of us decided to be tourists and go to the Charles Bridge. The bridge was built in 1357 and has lived through a lot. It is a major tourist desination. We made our way down there in the early afternoon. We crossed the bridge, which was lined with little stands with paintings, photos, and souveneirs.

The bridge led us to the castle quarter, which was full of Old Buildings, shops, and restaurants. Rachel and I opted for a low-cost lunch from a street vendor, while the other people in our group went to a sit-down restaurant. When we were waiting for the others to finished we walked around the Castle quarter. We walked into some of the stores and saw the Romanian and Italian (!) Embassies. That was pretty cool.

After the Bridge and Castle Quarter, we made our way back to the dorms. We got ready for dinner at Patricia's house (she is one of the Czech students, although she is actually Slovakian, and speaks perfect English with a British accent and British slang). We had a wonderful barbeque at her flat. A few of the Czech students made the food and we drank some wine. The food was so good, and it was great to have a homecooked meal. They barbequed chicken, beef, and pork, but luckily they cut it into little pieces so we could enjoy a little of everything. We also had salad, vegetables, cheese, bread, garlic bread, chips (or "crisps"), cake, cookies (or "biscuits"), wine, soda, etc. etc. etc. It was probably one of my favorite nights so far. We all hung out together, both the US and Mizzou students, and got to hang out without having to worry about classes or anything. We stayed for about 5 hours talking and taking tons of pictures.

Tomorrow is another day of classes. We will be putting the finishing touches on our presentations so we can do the finals on Tuesday. To be honest, I'll be glad when Tuesday is over and we can stop having to be in class 8 hours a day, so we can do other things. Hopefully, tomorrow I will have a few more albums of photos to show.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



17th July 2006

Monday
Hi Kate! I hope everything went ok today with putting the finishing touches on your presentation. Sounds like you all had a great day on Sunday. Hey, do you think wearing some warm clothes in the shower would help? (I guess not.) Have a great day and Mom and I hope to talk to you again soon. Love you!
17th July 2006

Hi
It looks like you're having a great time. Have fun, be good, Have fun, take care, have fun, study hard, have fun. Love, MF

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb