Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 6th 2012
Published: August 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Prague


Sorry for the delay but our hotel in Berlin did not have free wifi so I have had to wait a while to post anything. We got settled in to Prague later than expected due to the train delay in Budapest but ended up with our own private car in first class so that made up for it. When we bought our train passes in Amsterdam we opted for the first class option as it was only a few euros extra and so far it has been really good. That night after we changed one funny money into another (HUF’s to Kc’s) we went out and got some dinner at a restaurant close by and then headed home to watch some of the Olympics.

The next day started off wandering the old town, checking out the Tyn church, Old town hall with its astronomical clock “show”, and the Municipal House before heading to the Charles Bridge. Old town and Charles Bridge were packed with tourists and street performers and it was fun to join the crowds. We touched the good luck statues on the bridge and went on the search for the Lennon wall. The Lennon wall is just a wall that has been graffitied with song lyrics (and now – random people’s tags) since the 80’s. After getting a few pictures, we carried on the uphill trek to the Prague castle. I’m hoping my junk food intake is balancing out after walking up all of the hilly streets in this city! We arrived just in time to witness the changing of the guard, and then headed into the grounds to see St. Vitus cathedral and the basilica of St. George on the castle grounds, after which we went back down and carried on our adventure to the new town. Here, in Wenceslas Square was the tribute to the victims of communism, including the two young men who set themselves on fire in protest to the soviet invasion in 1969.

We had covered some serious ground on Day 2 so we decided to have a nice lazy last day in Prague. Actually sleeping in, relaxing, reading a book, doing laundry, etc- when you are moving around so much in one trip sometimes it feels like you spend your whole vacation planning instead of enjoying. Later that evening we headed back to Old town and Charles Bridge again for some street food and the entertainment – there are so many good street performers, mostly in bands, that it’s easy to walk down the one street and take in 6 different performances. We did go on a mini adventure to find the dancing house which is supposed to resemble Fred estair and Ginger Rogers in a sort of controversial architecture being shoved inbetween the old style housing but was kind of a disappointment so we continued back to old town to take in the atmosphere and enjoyed the castle views at night by the river.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



18th December 2012

Prague
Hi! Could you share details of the prague visit?... where did you stay? did you use a tour operator? any 'must-do'...'must-see' recommendations? is there any kind of local transportation?- or do you just walk? is finding veggie food a real problem? Thanks in advance ! :)
16th April 2013

Hi, we got in to Prague and left by train, there is local transport by tram/train but depending on where you are staying, most of the tourist things are all within walking distance. We did not use a tour operator. Everything in old town is close together and worth checking out, as well as the castle. Veggie food wasn't too difficult to find but you wont be eating any "national specialties dishes". :-)

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb