El Maco Jr


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 16th 2006
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hihihihiihihihihiihihihihihiihihihihihihiheeeelllllllllllooooooo,

Andy and Sonja, here. Surprise! We're in Prague, Czech Republic. Does anyone else think that it would make more sense to add a "the" before Czech Republic? Me too.

Ok well, we arrived in Prague yesterday morning after an... interesting train ride. As Andy mentioned in the last entry, we took a sleeper train from Krakov to Prague. We traveled 3rd class, which means that 6 of us slept in a teeny tiny compartment, huge backpacks and all. It wasn't horrible, although I'm sure glad that I purchased an ipod prior to the trip (I did make the mistake of taking it off during the night though, which just caused me to have murderous thoughts about a barking dog).

After showering, breakfasting and caffeining, we headed out for an orientation walk. I must interrupt here and say that Prague is one, if not the, prettiest cities we've encountered so far. It's loveliness is only heightened by the fantastic weather we've been experiencing. I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again, we're lucking out. We'll probably crash into the ocean on the way back....oooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOoooooo superstitious? Oh yeah, Andrew and his girlfriend Meagan were in Prague so we met up with those guys. It was good to see ol' KB's face again after such a long and insufferable 2 day separation.

The afternoon was spent wanderin' and, andy's favorite, relaxin'. We met up with the group (+ KB and KB's gf) for dinner. Standard eastern european fare, meatmeatmeatmeatpotatoemeat. We started the drinking part of the night with a bang... a round of absinthe shots for everybody. I nearly died because half of the shot entered the right tube and the other half entered my lungs and then burned them to a pulp. A bloody, coughy, painful pulp. We immediately followed the absinthe with something even grosser! Can you believe it? We had this "plum brandy" with must be czech for "wood alcohol". It DID distract me from the pain in my chest though which was a mighty feat. Ummm, the only other noteworthy thing from last night was that Andy managed to set her shot on fire, along with our metal table. She has nerves of steel though because she didn't flinch. Instead she calmly grabbed her camera with one hand and tried to take a picture of the whole affair. Bravo, Andy. Your courage is to be admired.

Oh and another funny thing that happened last night was that Andrew inherited another nickname... Koala Bear turned into KB, which turned into King Bruce. Hilarious.

That takes us to today. Castle, churches, walking and museums. Andy and I decided to do Prague the touristy way, so we hired Anna to be our personal tour guide. What a mistake. hahahha, well not really... she did a lovely job considering 1. being perhaps slightly hungover 2. having never been to Prague 3. having a broken internal GPS. We visited Prague castle, climbed 1 billion steps to the top of the St. Vitus' Cathedral tower and admired the fantastic view. We then headed down to St. Nicholas Church and ended the trip with a stop at the design museum, where we snuck a peak at the old Jewish cemetary. Did you know that:

1. according to jewish faith you can't move a dead body after it's been buried? As a result, there's this cemetary here that, due to lack of space, was built up vertically rather than horizontally. There are graves that are stacked on top of each other, up to 10 feet high.
2. Hitler didn't destroy the jewish synagogues in Prague because he wanted to turn them into a museum of an extinct race after all of his goals were accomplished. As a result, there are synagogues from the 13th century here.

We're staying in an apartment, not a hotel or hostel. There are 6 girls in a three bedroom apartment. It's really neat... it's been recently renovated and it's very spacious. The only downside is that there is one shower.... but we manage. Andy managed to plug the bath tub, though. What a fuck up.
IT WAS ALREADY BROKEN! YOU'RE the fuck up!!!!!!!- Andy
Well that's it for now. We really love all the comments. Keep it up! We're off to a town in the sourthern part of czech republic called Cesky Krumlov where we're going biking again. Hooray!

Love, Sonja and Andy

Advertisement



16th May 2006

plum brandy
Hey that "plum brandy" stuff i think is considered a very nice after dinner drink. Like port or cherry. I think it is called slivovitz, but I don't know the way to spell it. But guess what, I know when you get back you are going to want to relive every moment in your story telling and I just happen to have a bottle of it and a bottle of absinthe. You can do it all over again! Not to mention there are family friends from slovakia here. I bet you can't wait!!!!!!! Where else are you going in czech republic?
17th May 2006

Tour of Prague
Dear readers, It is very hard to lead a tour of a big city like prague when the tourees keep sneaking off to internet cafes to write their travel blog. Hope you appreciate the sacrifices that have been made for your reading pleasure. Anna

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb