czech it out :)


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
April 22nd 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I couldn't think of a better title, so i stole this one from a tshirt. Here are some of my photos from Prague.

So, now that I have had some time to proess my time in Prague, I'll add a note to try to sum up my thoughts.

After a day of "Prague Spring" - by which i mean, fresh grass, trees by the castle laden with flowers, enjoying views from the Charles Bridge and lounging in the sun in the old square, I was pretty enamoured with the city. The town is rife with history and legend which is interesting, and yet surprisingly modern, but rising above all it feels cozy. (Maybe adding to the coziness was the fact that i had to share every walkway in the old town and by the castle with a million tour groups, lots of Spanish class trips...)

After an evening spent at a very cool modern all-in-one vegetarian restaurant/record store/lounge/club with some new friends from the hostel, our way back led us straight through Wenceslas Square. More of a street then a square, it was just getting going at 1am. Between posh stores and fast food chains, there were clubs and bars sandwiched everywhere, people dancing in the windows and crowds spilling onto the streets... and then at the very top of the square you stumble on a wooden crucifix laid in the ground and a plaque, saying that this is where Jan Palach burned himself alive to protest the Soviets in 1969.

He was a 20 year old student! That hits close to home... obviously I've been blessed and have no real concept of things that would make someone set fire to themselves... and I sincerely hope I never do... So from this plaque you look out at a strip buzzing with light and laughter and music (completely modern), headed by the statue of King Wenceslas (ancient history) and you can't help but think, it may not be the Charles Bridge, but this recent part of history is Prague too, if not more so. In a cursory visit you could come and go and it is so delightful, so beautiful, you would never know people suffered here for years. Not that long ago!

Anyway, Prague is a great city and deserves more time then I could give it. There is so much to see and do; or not see and do, sitting on the banks of the Vltava is equally nice.

And anyone looking for a great, beautiful novel, about Prague ibut also so much more, read The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Milan Kundera, awesome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

my homegirlmy homegirl
my homegirl

elisabetha on the charles bridge
on the banks of the Vltavaon the banks of the Vltava
on the banks of the Vltava

which, i just found out is the Moldau in german. "themes from the Moldau" is a song i played year after year in middle school orchestra. (yuck - the violins never could get the high part quite right!) despite years of cursing it, it is a pretty pleasant river!


1st May 2006

Prague
I could spend days in prague, there is so much to see and I get to go back this summer YAY!!!!!!! Nice photos. You might check out the downloadable placemarks from exploreglobe.net that show all the sights in the City in Google Earth. Fun Stuff!

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb