Czech this out


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
September 14th 2010
Published: September 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

MuseumMuseumMuseum

We didnt go in
Prague was a bit of an unknown stop for both of us on our travels although i had only heard good things about the city. Although part of the EU they still use their own currency as well (again no border patrol). With a short run from Munich and Prague, we were disappointed to hit stand still traffic for the first time in our journey. Just glad that we had a video player and some sweet games to play while gridlocked, although Waz quickly got sick of waiting and was driving us in and out of the truck stop lanes. It is a bit more difficult when you have a massive bus you are trying to weave in and out...but it worked and we were quickly on our way.

We stayed two nights in Prague so plenty of time for some exploring. Our guides main advice.....dont jaywalk!! the police love to fine tourists and will even walk you to an atm to get out 200 Euro for the fine!

Prague has some fantastic tram networks which got us out and about, and after we arrived we all headed to town for a walking tour of the city. There is some fantastic history, which I can hardly remember now. Prague was once the capital of the Holy Roman Empire, the kingdom of Bohemia, and housed Nazi top leaders during the war. During one period of history the town was continously flooded, therefore they ordered the burying of the existing town and to rebuild on top of it. You can do underground tours, which we did, that looks at how the city was underneath...perhaps not as amasing though as one would think.

Prague is dominated by gothic architecture which makes fantastic buildings, castles and bridges to look at.

After alot of exploring, we also managed a pub crawl on our last night there. Prague is world famous for its nightlife, and certainly delivers. The pub crawl took us to some amazing places (the ones i can remember)...there was a fantastic one underground, a building that was once buried, with old arches etc. There was also a large five story nightclub, and we went to a two storey nightclub 13 floors up. A bit different to Invercargill or Chch, and even Auckland.

Prague would have to be one of my favourite cities that we stopped off at, that and Amsterdam. I highly recommend it for a couple of days.





Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Looking across to Prague castleLooking across to Prague castle
Looking across to Prague castle

The largest coherent castle complex in the world, home to the HolyRoman Empire, Bohemian King and Queens and past presidents.
Changing of the guardsChanging of the guards
Changing of the guards

Its better than Buckingham Palace (apparently)
Saint Vitus' CathedralSaint Vitus' Cathedral
Saint Vitus' Cathedral

Very Gothic church
Underground TourUnderground Tour
Underground Tour

Mosaics on the inside of the church
UndergroundUnderground
Underground

Not the best tour i had done
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

As seen on Mission Impossible and xXx, Kayne Wests song Diamonds....
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

There are 30 statues on the bridge. Most sculptures were erected between 1683 and 1714. They depict various saints and patron saints venerated at that time.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb