Our first sleeper (we annoy Russian train guards)


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 13th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


At the moment we are sitting in the reception bit of our newest hostel in Prague.
We arrived at 6:30 this morning, having caught a sleeper from Vienna!

It was a lot of fun, but we got very little sleep. At one point we seemed to be stuck in the middle of knowhere at a station with no name just shunting backwards and forwards!

We were a bit concerned to begin with as the train we boarded has it's final destination in Moscow....
Pete thought it would be cool if we overslept and arrived in Moscow, until I pointed out the fact we don't have visas and that the Russian border police might not be terribly understanding...

The carraige we were on though finished at prague and the rest of the train left without us headed for russia.

The guard on the train who showed us to our carriage didn't appreciate Peter pushing all the buttons and fiddling with EVERYTHING, and when we were trying to find our carraige initially, when the Russian driver 'helped' us he called us crazy people.
Compliments compliments, which peter made sure they knew we had heard!

Before we left Vienna, we climbed the hundreds of steps up to teh top of Stepansdom tower. Very high, but a fantastic view!


prague seemed rather a let down compared to the glamour of vienna, the only people we saw at this time were homeless people and it was rather cool and spitting with rain and we got completrely lost.....

We decided, after a bit of skillful map reading from Pete, having dropped our bags off at the hostel, that we would visit Kutna Nora on the train and look at the ossuary there.
A very wise choice indeed, as it was amazing!
They had created (about 150 years ago) decorations from human skeletons. There were chandeliers, coats of arms, and huge pyramids of skulls.
It probably sounds a bit creepy, but it was in fact quite beautiful.
Kutna Hora itself was a bit of a one horse town, with a very bizarre station that didn't tell you where any of the trains were going.

A chinese couple and ourselves boarded the wrong train at one point, and one the guards who couldn't speak English (and we can't speak any Czech!) preceded to explain to us in a manner of cherades that resembled the song 'the wheels on the bus' that we were mistaken. But with wooshy and hooty sound effects. 10/10 for effort...

arriving back into prague it all seemed to look more like a proper city, with lots of people and lots of lovely sights to see (after you crossed the river) and we had a very enjoyable time in the sun, having visited Prague castle amongst other things.

We catch a train tomorrow to Krakow at 10:30, arriving at 6:30!!
Thankfully we have lots of books and a fully charged iPod.

Then it's on to Bratislava and Budapest.

missing you all but having lot of fun !!!! (with very very achey feet-Lisa's right ankle feels like it's broken)

Lisa and Peter. xxx

Advertisement



14th August 2008

Bones? Art!
Hi People! So very glad to see that you managed to find the ossuary. It was featured on a TV prog a while back with some wild-armed presenter explaining different architectural features to be found all round Europe... cant remember his name. It all looked fantastic from the film.. And so many linguistic challenges! Well done both. Please keep up the Blogging, we enjoy every minute (when the server isnt down). BTW Russia probably is NOT a good mistake to make currently... Are you getting much news during your travels? GB is doing quite well (for us) in China, bad things happening in the Caucasus. Keep On Keeping On! Lurve from all at RH

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb