Beautiful Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
November 28th 2007
Published: December 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Views from the castleViews from the castleViews from the castle

Looking back over Prague from the castle.
Well it doesn't seem very long ago that we were sunning ourselves and cooling off with dips in the Adriatic. Now, just a couple of months later it's getting dark at 4pm and a whole lot colder. Not too cold. As we have just found out, Prague makes London seem positively balmy. Forewarned about the drop in temperature we all packed thermals, stockings, hats, gloves, scarves and even our tramping boots (for the snow). Even so, on a cold, sleet / snow filled Sunday morning I saw Brendon's, Paloma's & finally (Paloma's boyfriend) Colin's faces go progressively white, red nosed, dripping nosed & then their whole bodies trembling (at least Brendon & Paloma) as we shivered our way around a 4 hour walking tour of Prague Old Town, Wenceslas Square & the Prague Castle. Hmm, well we perhaps didn’t take in as much as we usually do - of either information or photos - but the good news is that we did acclimatise and really enjoyed our stay in the beautiful, fairytale city that is Czech Republic’s capital.

While many of you have been to Prague, for those of you who have not, it is one place I recommend you
Tourists admiring Tyn ChurchTourists admiring Tyn ChurchTourists admiring Tyn Church

Brendon, Colin and Paloma checking out the gothic Tyn Church built in 1365. It's so eerie at night you wouldn't be surprised to see Vampires flying out of the twin steeples.
put on your ‘to see before I die’ lists - as it is beautiful, magnificent and, incredibly evocative. While the Prague we saw was a lot more touristy than the Communist city Mum & Dad visited in the early 70’s, the beauty of it’s 12th & 13th Century palaces, castles, university (the oldest in central Europe) and town hall, juxtaposed with positively modern buildings like the Neoclassical Stavovske Theatre - completed in 1787 and location of the premiere of Don Giovanni, conducted by Mozart himself - is timeless. Ever wondered where they got the inspiration for those castles in Disneyland? Not just Mad King Ludwig’s castle Neuschwanstein, but Prague as well.

Oh and don't forget all those treats that keep you warm on a cold winter's night - mulled wine, warm cinnamon bread rolls, and the hearty goulash with dumplings. Hmmmmm.

Hope you enjoy these photos and feel inspired to visit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our lovely  hotelOur lovely  hotel
Our lovely hotel

The massage jets in the spa bath were a welcome relief after a hard day's wandering, and the phone I'm holding actually works!
Smiles of anticipationSmiles of anticipation
Smiles of anticipation

Look at the grins on paloma's & my faces as we stand in line for a local delicacy - dough rolled in cinnamon & other spices, wrapped around a pole and cooked over a fire (like a spit) to create, warm, sweet bread. Mmm just perfect for a cold winter's night - as is...
Mulled wineMulled wine
Mulled wine

The best way to keep warm at a winter's market.
Mulled wine by the Christmas treeMulled wine by the Christmas tree
Mulled wine by the Christmas tree

Paloma Vivanco (a friend from Telecom NZ who lives over in the UK), me and Brendon.
Prague waterfrontPrague waterfront
Prague waterfront

Taken from an island in the Vltava River - one of the many sights we saw on an evening stroll.
Capitalism gone mad!Capitalism gone mad!
Capitalism gone mad!

This building in Wenceslas Square (known locally as Vaclavske nam) is one of the most famous buildings in the Czech Republic. Not only are there many images of the Czech civilians facing up to Communist tanks in front of this building in the square - with just candles and flowers between them and the tanks - and further images of and memorials to the two students who set fire to themselves n the 1960s to protest communism - - the balcony you see is where Vaclav Havel stood and announced the downfall of Communism to cheering crowds shortly before he became the inaugral President of the Czech Repubilic. And now it's a Marks and Spencer Store!
St Nicholas churchSt Nicholas church
St Nicholas church

Another of the beautiful buildings in the old town (Stare Mesto).
Astronmical ClockAstronmical Clock
Astronmical Clock

THis clock has to be seen to be believed - watch out for the nodding skeleton and moving features as the clock strikes the hour.
St Vitus CathedralSt Vitus Cathedral
St Vitus Cathedral

The cathedral was started in 1344 but these windows were only completed in 1929. That's why they look magnificent.
The chapel of the tomb of St WenceslasThe chapel of the tomb of St Wenceslas
The chapel of the tomb of St Wenceslas

The walls of this chapel are lined with precious stones and gold. Funnily enough this is as close as we're able to get. Wenceslas from the Christmas Carol 'Good King Wenceslas' is buried here. Behind the small door you see are the crown jewels.
Views from St Vitus CathedralViews from St Vitus Cathedral
Views from St Vitus Cathedral

The crow and the gothic spires of the cathedral in the foreground - as seen from the top of the bell tower in the cathedral - peering over the castle and Prague.
Colin, Brendon & Paloma enjoying the views down Golden LaneColin, Brendon & Paloma enjoying the views down Golden Lane
Colin, Brendon & Paloma enjoying the views down Golden Lane

These 16th Century tradesman's quarters are built into the castle wall and house tiny shops full of knick knacks and traditional Czech artifacts.
A giant in Lilliput LandA giant in Lilliput Land
A giant in Lilliput Land

Paloma peering out of the window of one of the old Doll's house-sized homes in Golden Lane.


3rd January 2008

testing
love your photos

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb