Prague and then some


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
January 10th 2007
Published: January 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

first, allow me to apologize for poor typing...i am currently standing and using a rubber keyboard. anyways, this is just an update to let you all know that i am alive and well in Prague, capital of the Czech Republic.

alice left on saturday and is now safely back in georgia. alice and i met in Athens, greece and then traveled to naples, florence, and rome with side trips to pisa, orvieto and Assisi of St. Francis and St. Clare fame. i will post pictures and more details upon return to Caceres. Briefly; the acropolis of athens lit up at night and looming over the city is a site i could never tire of, naples is a chaotic loud place that is entertaining and enjoyable while running on an unspoken schedule intrinsic to the natives and baffling to the visitors, florence seemed quite artistic and refined (but perhaps our observations were skewed as we spent most of our times in museums and immediately following the chaos of naples, the city seemed to be asleep...but we also spent christmas day there, so many factors may have been at play), rome is huge and as stupid as spain for having their metro close at 9 pm (the A line) and 11;30 pm B line). if I were a roman, i would be outraged, but, if i were a native born roman, perhaps this wouldn't matter.

Dionne joined alice and i in rome and the day alice left Dionne and i continued north and east to Vienna. Vienna seems the picture of order in comparison to italy and spain. i really liked the city, beautiful to walk around at night with everything all lit up. there are many vast and imperial buildings and more neo-classisism than you can shake a stick at. cool cathedrals too.

after a day of train travel with a short but confusing stop in the Czech border town of Breclav, Dionne and I made it safely to Prague. the changing of trains at the border was a bit of a time warp. i felt all alone on the bare cement platforms stretching out into the vast lines of train tracks. the place felt Soviet. Gray, huge, lonely and rust on all the metal. Authentic, to be sure.

off to dinner in prague, i do not know what they eat here, but as they live here i am sure they must eat something....


PS

Happy 2007!

Advertisement



10th January 2007

Sounds Exciting
Thanks Clair for keeping us updated. Your trip sounds quite exciting. As you explore the depths of Prague, I hope you are intrigued by its culture and geography. It is good to hear from you. Keep us us posted! Have fun and be safe. Happy New Year!!!! Yushekia
11th January 2007

that sounds like alot of fun! Still can't wait til you're back here tho.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb