8th November 2014: Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
November 10th 2014
Published: November 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

View from the Powder TowerView from the Powder TowerView from the Powder Tower

Castle and Cathedral in the background
We were up and ready by 9am to head off into the world of dentistry. We chose the American Dental Clinic as it was only about 10 minutes away and showed promise. All the dentists were Czech but language was not an issue. The building it was housed in did not list it as an occupant and, after talking to the receptionist at the main counter, we learnt that this was for a good reason. They had relocated some time ago to the other side of town about 30 minutes by car. I figured that if this was wrong on their website then maybe the times are too. It was back to the Emergency Clinic and objections to this plan had to be sent in triplicate 24 hrs earlier; in other words, let's go!

The Clinic was already operating with about 4 patients ahead of Sue and she was a little nervous, well, very nervous by the time it was her turn. The dentist spoke English, sorted the problem and it only cost about $50; all done, back to the holiday.

We went back in the direction of the Square for a coffee but I spotted the Powder Tower and climbed it for a better view. These towers were part of the fortification of the town and were generally connected by walls. They stored gunpowder there for the defence of the town. It was a good view and the New Town across the river was easily seen. It was good to get up high and forget the stress of the past 24 hrs.

Tim had some ideas for a morning tea break but the best one wasn't open so we strolled to the Charles Bridge and went to a cafe in the Jewish Quarter. The crowd at the Bridge was so huge and seemed to be coming our way so this coffee option was best as it led us to the Mànesûv Bridge a little further down the river.

Now when I say the New Town, it's a reference to the area across the river Vltava that contains the Cathedral and the Castle. Some of this dates back to medieval times so 'New Town' can be a little misleading. We crossed over into this previously unexplored area and passed St Nicholas' Church, wandered around the narrow streets and coved shopping alleys and ended up in John Lennon's Wall.

I had never heard of this but when John Lennon was killed the fans of Prague graffitied this wall. There was a reaction from the Communist authorities who no doubt saw Lennon as a poor role model, so the wall was cleaned.....and then reprinted with slogans and tributes. Eventually it was accepted for what it is and people are free to add to it at will. It is all love and peace with a bit of politics mixed in for balance.

Not far from the Wall there is a lovely park with stunning views of the Charles Bridge and the Old Town across the river. I took a few pictures, we soaked up the atmosphere with the few other people lounging around, and then set off to see if we could find the Furnicular, a cable car that transports you up the steep hill to the top of the gardens, and the best view in town. There was little opportunity to look around when we reached the top as light was failing, so I climbed the fake Eiffel Tower for a better look. It was a bit scary as when you climb the steepest section, it is all open and has a slightly unsafe feel to it.

Natalia and her parents were meant to be meeting us at 6pm at the end of the Charles Bridge so we wandered down through the gardens and into the New Town until we reached our meeting point.

Together, we all retraced some of our earlier steps so they could see some of the wonderful things we visited earlier, and had coffee and cake at a warm, cosy cafe just off the main streets, away from the crowds. We continued our walk past old palaces, mansions, and the embassies that have taken up residence in some of them.

Now, I don't want to appear to be singling out the Americans, we are allies and I've met many great ones on the Camino and since then, but when two men check underneath every single vehicle with one of those mirrors on a stick, as they drive up the road the embassy is in, the world has gone mad! When one of those vehicles is driven by two old nuns and their car also has underneath the bonnet (hood for some) checked, the world has gone really mad! I'm not
Charles BridgeCharles BridgeCharles Bridge

The biggest attraction in Prague.
here to make a political comment but we are in Prague. Am I in some danger I don't know of by being here. Anyway, no offence intended, just an observation, on we go.

After seeing most of the New Town lower area, we made our way across the Charles Bridge and into the Square to see the Astronomical Clock . People flock to see this and while it is of interest and is a great piece of design, you see so little when it changes that I wonder if we are all drawn to following tour guides and ticking off attractions, one by one.

We paid to climb the Clock Tower and Natalia and I took the steps while the others went up in the elevator. We made it to the top first and were accused of cheating; with only one lift operating even I couldn't have cheated here. The view is brilliant and gives you a clear view of how the city is laid out and has evolved around the river. It's a 'must do' for any visitor who wants a unique view of Prague from every angle.

Once we returned to solid ground we set out to find a restaurant with an available table, no mean feat tonight. We were able to get one at a traditional Czech restaurant near to our hotel so we enjoyed hearty Czech food in a lovely setting before heading off to bed. Tomorrow we do the Castle and Cathedral in the New Town and there will be plenty of steep walking there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

John Lennon's WallJohn Lennon's Wall
John Lennon's Wall

Too cool to ignore.
The Mánesüv mostThe Mánesüv most
The Mánesüv most

The Bridge next to the Charles.


12th November 2014
It gets a bit political in places. Read 'Hong Kong' and scribbled rebukes around it.

Love this one
What a great city.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb