Prague Day 13


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
February 13th 2011
Published: February 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

This morning we headed out to go to the markets on the other side of the river. We had just set out and tiny snow flakes started falling, which was pretty. After walking for about 45 mins to get there, the only way over to the market place was to pass a group of hobos under the bridge, so we, being wary of weird homeless men, decided to give the market a miss.

From here we walked up the first of many steep hills in our days travel, Vitkov Hill where there is the worlds largest bronze equestrian monument, which sits infront of a very Soviet looking stark block building. On our way down the hill we passed the National Army museum, which we didn't go into but posed for photos infront of a tank out the front.

Next we walked to the castle district. where we walked up many giant hills. The main castle is a beautiful midievel style building surronded by many other gothic buildings, which are all part of the giant castle grounds.

On our way back we crossed a 'main attraction' the Charles bridge. This bridge was busy, even at this time of year and cannot imagine it in the middle of Summer. We have heard it takes 2 hours to cross in Summer, which is believable.

After stopping for a late lunch, we decided that we had neither walked far enough nor up enough hills, so we set out again to an observation tower. There was a rail car to the top, but we are cheap so walked it. The observation tower is by the old town walls, which are partially still remaining.

All in all it was a great day, especially the snow. I think we clocked about 15km by foot.

There will be an undetermined length of time between our next post as our next hostel only has payed wireless and we are visiting friends in Switzerland as opposed to staying in hostels, this may limit the chances for internet. So at latest the next post will be from Vienna on the 22nd of Feb.

Until next time,
Nick and Holly


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb