Uniquely Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
October 21st 2017
Published: October 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Writer, Neil Wilson had this to say about Prague: How can you not love a city that has a pub with vinyl cushions on the wall above the gents' urinal, so you can rest your head while you 'go'? For you ladies, I know that is TMI, just make sure the guy at the urinal is not your date, and ready to pass out!




Where you can order a beer without speaking, simply by placing a beer mat on the table? I might like this, at least for the first or second beer.




And where that beer is probably the best in the world? I have read and heard from many sources that this is TRUE!!!




But it's not just exquisite ale and a wonderfully relaxed drinking culture that keep bringing me back to Prague. There's also wit and weirdness in equal measure: a public fountain where two figures pee in a puddle, spelling out literary quotations; a 1950s nuclear bunker hidden beneath a city centre hotel; and a cubist lamppost. Quirky doesn't even begin to describe it.

You gotta love these Czechs, as they have a Beer Museum. And the beer renaissance has been happening since WW2, with now about 250 breweries of all sizes in Czechia. Back to the museum, they have a 90 minute tour followed by a choice of tastings in TWO showroom pubs, one from the 19th century, and one from communist times. Best of all, anyone can bottle their own beer. They give you a bottle, let you fill it up on their tap, then create your own label! What a great souvenir of Prague!
While in Prague, it is not uncommon to drink more beer than water. And it is cheaper too! What else?
Sometimes Czech eats Chex mix, just kidding, but may eat dessert before dinner. Called ovocne knedliky, or fluffy dumplings, filled with fruit, topped with butter, sugar, and maybe a side of sour cream.
Sadly, smoking is still allowed indoors. Some pubs still sell cigarettes behind the counter. The more touristy places tend to be smoke free.
You also might see a police officer light up a joint. You are more likely to get fined for selling it instead of smoking it. But it is up to the officer, at that moment.
If you ask "How are you?" to a Czech, you might get their life story. I hear it is best just to say "hello" or good morning" instead of the traditional "How are you?"
Fashions of the 90s are still popular. So, I plan to bring my mullet, faded jeans, flannel, and dial-up modem. Yes, they live in a time warp of sorts, but at least it was a fun filled decade!
People care little about religion, as about 60% of the people are agnostics. But they still go to church or temple! Strange!!!
Too bad it is not Easter now. During Easter, Czech women can expect to be spanked on the backside with a willow whip and the men can expect to have cold water thrown on them. This is all part of the fertility rites which Czechs still strongly associate with Eastertime. One tradition that might appeal to some of us is the practice of wearing very little inside the house. Though not in a sexy way, undershirts on men, and slips on women are common. Children run around naked or wear just t shirts with no bottoms!
There are about half a million foreigners living here.
The average Czech salary is about $1000 USD per month. A meal for two costs around $12 US. But they have the highest living standard of any former Soviet Bloc country.
Do not EVER call a Czech a Czechoslovakian! Though the Czechs and Slovaks consider themselves brothers, Czechs are more laid back or placid, Slovakians more fiery.
Remind me to visit again when it is Easter!!! Should be fun! It is fine now too! Very nice people, I say, and seem to tolerate Americans just fine.


So far, Prague is both safe and charming, but almost sedate. Locals do not seem happy unless they are drinking beer with their friends. And multitudes of tourists, many from Asia, somewhat less from the US.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb