Czech us out, we're in Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Malá Strana
March 25th 2009
Published: March 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This morning we were off to Prague with a 7:20am flight meaning our taxi from Paris pick-up time was 5:30am. An early wake-up call! It was only an 1.5 hour flight to Prague. We were able to check into our hotel right away and since we were both feeling pretty darn tired; we took a nice nap. It was much needed and refreshing.

Now honestly, I will tell you on the drive to the hotel, our walk to the metro, and our first few streets of walking after we got off the metro, were not giving me the “I love this place” feeling. But, as soon as we made it into the old town and began wandering down some of the smaller streets, the love began. It is really beautiful here and has a different look and feel than most of the European cities we’ve visited so far.

We were starved and since we were a little disoriented by a new language (which has zero words that resemble anything English), a new city, and new currency as well we decided it was time to eat. We had a yummy lunch of traditional Czech food that hit the spot. For those of you that know me and my love of food, I am just in heaven here….Pretzels, beer, sausages grilled till they split, mustards, sauerkraut, cabbage in general, goulash, hot mulled wine…..does it get better than this???

Our walk through old town was great. It is cold here as the wind hasn’t let up, so we were both feeling it today. We walked across the St. Charles bridge (see pics) before heading back to the hotel to freshen up for dinner. I did some research and made reservations at Z’Vatisi restaurant. Am I ever glad we went, as it is now in Matt and my top 3 meals of all time. Amazing from start to finish and for the meal we had, much cheaper than the US. The restaurant’s atmosphere was beautiful and the service impeccable too. We both opted for the deluxe menu which allows you to choose how many courses you would like and then mix and match on the menu. This means that you can have 4 appetizers, or 3 main courses,…the choice is yours.

We started with a mini portion of wonderful asparagus soup which was compliments of the chef.

I had with wine pairing:
• Pan seared pepper crusted beef carpaccio with celeriac remoulade and veal truffle jus
• Risotto with porcini mushrooms and truffle oil
• Bohemian Sampler: Crispy duck with red cabbage and herb dumpling, Roast rabbit with slow roasted pork belly, and beef tornado with vegetable sauce and cranberries.
• We shared the best Apple Strudel ever with crème anglais

Matt’s:
• Pumpkin autumn pear soup with cinnamon cream
• Fillet of sea bass with citrus rosemary sauce and herb meige
• Lamb chops crusted with violet mustard and lavender cremolata with tarragon lamb jus and Dijon mustard sauce

Every course was beautiful plated and presented as well. A wonderful way to spend our first night in Prague. After dinner we decided to walk to the metro and take a couple of night time pics. It was raining a bit but did seem a little warmer. We will see what tomorrow brings us!




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Astronomical clockAstronomical clock
Astronomical clock

Built in 1410
Fountain at Kafka museumFountain at Kafka museum
Fountain at Kafka museum

Lets sword fight!
cool toilet at restaurantcool toilet at restaurant
cool toilet at restaurant

so the blue thing comes out from the back and the whole toilet seat turns in a circle and is sanitized by that blue thing


26th March 2009

Only you, Matt, would take a photo of the toilet!!
26th March 2009

It was cool, you would have taken one too.
26th March 2009

hum, toilet or fountain?? I think I like the fountains. ;)

Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 98; dbt: 0.0942s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb