Kutna Hora - Bone Church


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The other day i made a day trip from Prague to a small town called Kutna Hora. I thought it deserved a little blog of its own.
Kutna Hora is about an hour and a half bus ride from Prague, although it seems a lot longer when it's nearing mid 30's and the closest thing to an air con is a tiny vent in the floor. There wasn't a whole lot to see and do in Kutna Hora, except escape the tourists, and visit the local Ossuary.
Back in the 13th or 14th century there was an important Bohemian prince who went to the Holy Land, and on his return he brought back some dirt, which was sprinkled over his grave. From then on this cemetery was the hippest place to be buried in all of Europe. So very soon they ran out of space. Not long after this thousands of people were being killed off by the plague and there were also wars going on. So the cemetery were getting an enormous amount of bodies and not having any room to bury them. Solution: Bone Church.
This church contains bones from 40,000 people. They're arranged in all sorts of ornaments, statues and enormous pyramids. The pyramids you see aren't glued or binded together in any way. They are just stacked cleverly.
The chandelier contains at least one of every kind of bone found in the human body.
The whole experience of this church was just so eerie and bizarre. I've never seen anything like it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



10th August 2007

Thats awesome in a very weird way. I would love to there some time, it sounds amazing.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb