Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
June 19th 2010
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, 19 June 2010-06-20
Km so far: 2379

Slow start to the day before exploring Dubrovnik Old Town. Dubrovnik is a staggeringly attractive old city, and although it resisted becoming part of the Venetian empire its architecture is very similar to that seen in Kotor and other ancient Venetian settlements. Placa, the main street, is the only reasonably wide thoroughfare, and it is dominated by cafes, with statues and fountains here and there, and magnificent churches and civic buildings. There are also three monasteries within the city walls.

Having investigated at ground level we walked the City Walls in the afternoon. These provide a great view of all parts as you progress all the way round, for the sum of 50Kn (€7) each. Great value was a little book that cost 10Kn with all the main views with the notable buildings labelled. It must have taken around 2 hours to complete the circuit, with a lot of steps up and down. As we finished there were hundreds of cruise ship passengers mustering at the Old Harbour to be ferried to their enormous ship at anchor half a mile off shore.

Late dinner in ‘The Arsenal’, a lovely restaurant below some ancient arches by the side of the Old Harbour, a delicious seafood platter. Just as we sat down there was a fireworks display across the water. Another memorable evening.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb