Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
March 11th 2007
Published: March 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This city is amazing! Its an old walled city that just drops off into the sea - kind of the walled croatian version of venice minus the canals and gondolas.

The bus trip there from Zagreb (Croatia) included the shortest amount of time i have ever spent in one country - Croatia has a fair stretch of gorgeous coastline, but randomly bosnia has a little piece in the middle of it, so you go through border controls into bosnia on the road, then 10 minutes later you go through border controls again to enter croatia again! The countryside in this part of the world is incredible, what i imagine greece to be like (having never been there). Its a very touristy area though, and in march theres not too much happening, coastal croatians live off tourism and very little else. dubrovnic itself is basically a small city of people who rent out rooms half the year and live off that income the rest of the year. as far as i can tell anyway.

bit of an experience - i got off the bus after a 9 hour extraordinarily jerky bus trip through the night (they dont take the motorway, they take minor roads, i guess so they dont have to pay motorway taxes) and get absolutely bombarded by people who are waiting for the bus, jump on you while your still stepping down from the bus, not even on the ground yet, clamouring 'you need room? i have single room, very nice, all official look stamp here, i drive you there, you come?' which is quite bewildering on no sleep and trying to get past that whole indoctrination of growing up and never coming close to even considering hitchhiking or anything that involves being under the control of a stranger.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DubrovnicDubrovnic
Dubrovnic

View from the city wall surrounding the old town, looking towards the newer town
Dubrovnic old townDubrovnic old town
Dubrovnic old town

my coffee spot for the day
Dubrovnic new town at nightDubrovnic new town at night
Dubrovnic new town at night

in summary, like venice: beautiful spot, amazing atmosphere, surroundings, photos, but not much more to say than that
10 Lipa10 Lipa
10 Lipa

We just got rid of 5 cent coins right? this coin is worth about 2.5 cents


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb