Istrian Stonehenge


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria
March 21st 2009
Published: April 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

There are ten of very similar hills in the hinterland of Poreč which are not higher than 100 meters. The peak of each is flat, and this points to the previous existence of settlements on the plateau (proved by many remains, which are known to belong to the civilizations before the antique period).

These two hills are the most important ones: Mordele and Picugi.

1.Mordele

The chain Mordele consists of three hills: Mordela, Mali Sveti Anđeo and Veliki Sveti Anđeo. The oldest findings date 4 000 years back and confirm that this civilization dates from the times before Christ. What tribe is that? We have no idea. They used the area where Poreč is located today as their port, but the settlements were, for safety reasons, more remote, on high grounds to ensure good visibility (from the peak of Veliki Sveti Anđel one can see each boat navigating from Savudrija and Lima). Great stone blocks (remains of ruins?) rolled over from all three of the hills to the foothills, but some remained on the top. There is an unfinished sarcophagus on Veliki Sveti Anđeo. On Mali Sveti Anđeo, there are stone blocks placed in circle, and each weighs 2-3 tones. The “Istrian stonehenge” is very similar to the stone circles in England, Ireland, Scotland… Was this a solar calendar, star observatory or a place for oblation, this hasn't been cleared so far.

2.Picugi

Again a chain of three, this time, nameless hills. We know a little bit more about this hill chain, because some explorations were made during the Austrian- Hungarian rule. About 700 graves, ceramics, pendants, tools, weapons and grave equipment has been found. Picugi are a legacy of the Histri (the oldest remains are 3 000 years old), who were at their peak between 8th and 6th century B.C. Apart from the findings connected to Histri , some of the located artifacts belong to the Celts, Greeks and the Etruscans.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb