5 interesting facts about Island of Krk you did not know


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Krk
October 20th 2009
Published: October 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

1.Did you know that there is a interesting connection between the tradition of the island of Krk and the number 7? For example, the 7th century, when Croats joined the Illyrian tribes of Liburnians and Japods, presents a real historical turning point. This is only one example for the significance of the number „seven“, here are some other: Krk was historically divided into seven castles (kastel) that nowadays present 7 districts. And these are: Omisalj, Malinska, Vrbnik, Dobrinj, Punat i Baska.

2.Did you know that the Romans, upon their arrival, found already developed town and implemented their buildings into the existing ones, keeping the old lay out? Today’s walls are mainly from the Middle Ages, and sections next to the Franciscan Monastery, castle and the coast date from the times of the times of Roman settlement.

3.Did you know that „The Dukes of Krk“, later known as the Frankopans, are one of the most prominent Croatian noble family in history, which played an important role from the 11th to 16th century in not only part of Croatia, but larger? They gained their economic strength by increasing the citizens’ levies, and tried to strengthen the old customs and guard their rights by bringing statutes. In this way, they brought the Vinodol Law in 1288 and the Statute of Vrbnik in 1388.

4.Did you know that the existence of cave Biserujka near Rudina, has been known for more than 100 years, when its interior (with an entrance at that time in the form of a pit!) was hidden and interest was awakened in its unknown secrets and the beauty of its calcite formations? The cave received the name Biserujak (pearl) because of the treasure that was found in it that belonged to local pirates.

5.Did you know that the Griffon vulture inhabits the Island of Krk ? In our area Griffon Vulture is one of the largest flying birds. Its wing span can reach up to three meters and weight up to 15 kilograms. These birds can live for as long as 60 years.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb