5 interesting sketches from history of Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
October 20th 2009
Published: October 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

1.Did you know that in 667. anonymous cosmographer from Ravenna wrote down the name of the city, in its Latinised form: Ragusa-Ragusium? He wrote: “Epidaurum id est Ragusium” (”Epidaurum is Ragusium today”). The settlement of the same name had already existed.

2.Did you know that in 972, the people Dubrovnik chose St. Vlaho (St. Blasius) for their saint patron? His image was impressed in seals and money. Numerous statues of St. Blasius were made and the saint’s image was inwrought in the flag of the city.

3.Did you know that the lindjo is an old traditional dance of the Dubrovnik region? It is danced to the music of the instrument known as the ljerica. The lindjo was born in the villages northwest of Dubrovnik and got its name from a resident of the Dubrovnik parish named Niko Lale.

4.Did you know that the most affluent library in the City of Dubrovnik is found precisely within the Franciscan monastery, one of the most important sights in Dubrovnik? The monastery was built in 1317 under the city walls near Minceta. Asides from the rich library, which has a large collection of priceless manuscripts, it is also houses one of the oldest pharmacies in Europe that has worked constantly from the time when it was founded (1317) until the present day.

5.Did you know that the city walls of Dubrovnik are the second most attractive promenade in the world? A distinguished British journal, ”The Sunday Times”, has published a rank-list of fifty the most beautiful walking tours in the world, and the second place, following Gencoe Hill in Scotland, belongs to the city walls of Dubrovnik. The two kilometer city walls are passable in their whole lenght, and consist of the wall and three fortifications: Minceta, Bokar, and St. John, along with two freestanding fortifications, Lovrijenac and Revelin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb