Mljet & Korcula


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 23rd 2017
Published: September 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Mljet is the most southerly & easterly of the larger Adriatic islands of the Dalmatia region of Croatia. There are few residents on Mljet - a population of just 1,088 with 84% of the island covered by forest. 23 miles long X 2 miless wide, very popular with cyclists and hikers.

The name Mljet comes from Ancient Greek for honey. David was happy to stay on board & watch the world go by as we were heading for a walk through the forest to the two salt water lakes Malo Jezero (small lake) & Veliko Jezero (large lake).The island has a long history of eco-damage, in order to ease their transport problems monks from the monastery of Saint Mary dug a channel to the coast from the large lake which turned both of the fresh water lakes into sea water lakes! IT didn't take long before we arrived at the stepped path leading to the lakes.

A pleasant walk over cobbled flagstones a slight incline & then down, it wasn't long before we reached the small lake, beautiful turquoise water lapped the shoreline.There were families enjoying a dip in the lake as we waited for a boat to take us to St.Mary Island & the ruins of the Benedictine monastery no longer in use, but we were able to go inside the chapel, very atmospheric as there was the sound of monks chanting as we entered.

Plenty of beautiful trees & shrubs, not so many flowers but did spot some growing from the old ruin walls and on our walk back a single wild cyclamen nestled against a pine cone.

We didn't have a great deal of time on the island but it was long enough to get a feel for this ancient monastery and enjoy a coffee. It was soon time to gather and return to the small lake area ready to tackle those cobbled steps back to our ship. As we passed a cycle hire venue couldn't resist taking a photo of an old penny farthing bicycle, wouldn't fancy taking to the cobbled streets on that ! Time to find David and enjoy a light lunch before boarding our ship.

Next port of call Korcula.The island has an area of approx 108sq miles.Korcula town is the main town, I thought we had been here before when I saw the Venetian style architecture, but as we took the city walk, I wasn't so sure. Legend states that Marco Polo was born in the town but who knows if the legend is true!The tour wasn't too long and our local guide was informative with an added sense of humour.The narrow streets were full of history & we heard of the various occupations of Korcula over the years including Italians, Hungarians, Austrian, & the British to name a few.We sat & enjoyed an ice cream, chatting to our tour manager before returning to the ship. Dinner is a little earlier this evening as we will be entertained by local musicians.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb