Korcula to Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 22nd 2012
Published: September 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Have done this entry in notes and copied and pasted it in as the first time I did it it disappeared into the ether!



On the way to Dubrovnik we stopped over at Sobra a small hamlet on the north east coast of the island Mljet. Sobra is situated behind an island in a small bay at the base of a steep hill, the town like many in Croatia is built up into the slope of the hill. The town has three restaurants, a shop and a car hire. The proprietor of the latter must have a good sense of humour, one of the cars has a hanging Dalmatian toy inside and the outside is painted to match, another has a high quality photo image of branches and leaves all over and a Vespa scooter is completely covered, handle bars and all, in long fur. A good match for Ken in his Santa suit!
There is also a fish farm and fish drying area and the car ferry comes through twice a day. It seems as tho most of the people in Sobra work off the island.
Our mooring in Sobra was free as the restaurant where we tied up had the policy of "no fee as long as you eat at my restaurant", a policy fairly common in Croatia we are finding. Unfortunately for him we had prepared our lunch at sea and ate it with gusto, he was not too happy as we only ordered coffee. However we did eat our evening meal at the restaurant so this restored his faith in travellers a little. The meal was delicious. Fish platters for all, except Linda J who does not eat fish. She had an equally delicious spaghetti carbonara, I know it was because I sampled it! We asked for pancakes and icecream for dessert but apparently you can only have pancakes or icecream. We suggested just putting a scoop of icecream on top of the pancake but no that could not be done. We waited in trepidation to see what we would get. It was so cute, they had made the pancake with chocolate filling and folded it over the scoop of icecream like a bonnet! Sobra is a lovely little town and I would like to return there to stay for longer, there is plenty of accommodation so it is feasible. I was a bit concerned when one of the ferries came and parked long side our boat for the night but it left so gently in the morning I was not at all disturbed. I went for a walk up the hill before we left and the view back to the boat and out to sea was superb. We left early, about 7.30 am and had brekky while underway. Ken was keen to get to Dubrovnik to secure a berth, just as well as it took some time to get the marina sorted and there were not many berths left. Very impressed with the way Ken is able to manoeuvre the catamaran in constrained spaces. This marina had a pool a restaurant a laundry an info booth ablution block to die for berths for 450 boats and yes it was very much more expensive than other we had stayed at! But for four loads of laundry washed and dried was only 400 kuna equivalent of $67 between four of us. So worth the mooring fee! More about Dubrovnik in the next blog.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb