Some Photos


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 23rd 2012
Published: September 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Dubrovnik. - wow the old city is wonderful. It has survived numerous assaults including the latest in the early nineties. The paved roads and laneways have a polished appearance and somehow seem to always look freshly washed. It is reminiscent of marble but I do not think marble would be put to this use. For an Australian the amount of history, the pride in their achievements and their work ethic (most work 12 - 15hours a day during the tourist season) is a lesson in how to approach life.

We left Ken on the boat, as he was waiting for the boat owner to provide us with a hand held radio as the boat radio was not receiving, and went into the old city. It was a bit sad as Norm and Linda were leaving the boat to continue their travels through Croatia and into Turkey. We had enjoyed their company and had had some hilarious nights and reflections (i'm not going unless I have something solid underme! Was a classic lindaJ-ism). Jen and Peter joined us tho so we were a full complement again for one night. Sal left the boat the next day to fly back to Perth as she needed to pick up her uni course so we are down to six.
We left Linda and Norm and headed into the old city. Peter and Jen showed me around as Sal was doing a lightening tour and Jane headed out to do some photography. First stop was at Dolce Vita for an icecream, for some strange reason despite all the walking I have not lost any kilos! The churches, the clock towers, the sculptures are all so reminiscent of the city's history. Sal discovered a lane way where the traditional sewing was on display and for sale and purchased a few Christmas pressies..
We went for a work along the top of the wall, fabulous views both into the city, the mainland and out to sea to the islands along the coast. The water was flat calm, the day was sunny and only about 23 degrees, absolutely gorgeous.
The cable car is a must to view the sunset from above the city, even my little Lumix camera took some speccy photos. There is a museum at the summit also that honours the 1991 conflict. The amount of rebuilding that has been done in the old town of Dubrovnik the last ten years is quite staggering. There is still some scaffolding on a few of the buildings but you would not know that most of the city was damaged during the conflict.
We had dinner at Mario Nikich's restaurant. He was quite a character, he was a fourth generation Croation, had fought during the war, married a Serbian women in a traditional ceremony after the war ie they both walk through the old town followed by their family and friends. Her father accepted that Mario was a good man and he could die now that his daughter was happily settled. Mario was a self confessed sex addict and told us of his many exploits, including how Richard Gear and Tom Cruise were amazed at his prowess, so one wonders how he has stayed so happily married for so long!
Sal, Clem and I had a quick trip back into the old town in the morning as I wanted to visit the ethnographic museum. It was worth the visit, I am in awe of the needlework on the traditional festive costumes. It was also great to see Linda and Norm as they went about their walking tour of the city. Ken drove the boat to the old town harbour from the marina and Peter and Jane came in with the tender to pick us up. We left Sal on the shore as she was heading out early Monday morning to fly back to Perth. After a quick swim in the bay we set off for Hvar.

Advertisement



27th September 2012

I loved Dubrovnik
I remember the old city was fabulous. That was before the latest bombing. I am looking forward to seeing your photos of the current "old city" when you return home. Love Jenni & Mark
27th September 2012

Sounds wonderful
Glad to hear you are all having fun, cat looks superb, keep it up guys.
29th September 2012

Fall down steps
Chooky, is there something Sally needs to know about you visiting Clem's cabin or were you really just returning a towel? Glad you are still having fun without us, Istanbul has been amazing although probs with no a/c in hotel room. Long story but
29th September 2012

Hahahaha lol! I really was returning his towel and he wasn't even there! I could not see all of your comment about Instanbul, only that the was no ac in the hotel. That would have made for an uncomfortably hot stay. Hope things have improved. Xxxxx

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb