Brac


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
September 17th 2012
Published: September 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The sail/motor to the island of Brac (pronounced Bratch) was most enjoyable, nobody was ill although I did feel a bit squishy and elected to stay outside above decks for the trip. Our first stop was Sutivan for a walk and a coffee, then, lunch back inboard. Sutivan is a smallish hamlet with excellent support for docking at the wharf. Sadly we had to rate our own efforts as 4/10 as we nudged the wharf and lost the Australian flag overboard! Sally volunteered to go swimming (any excuse) and retrieve the flag. I went in too and the water was quite chilly to start with (for an Aussie) but beautiful once climatised. Ken came in too but the others dipped in toes and decided it was too cold!

Next stop was the town of Milna. A great effort at docking 8/10 at least. The harbourmaster was also impressed and suggested we go further in as there was a more protected berth which we did. The only instructions (in Croation) were, we think, go 100 metres then berth which we did. The spot was between hull single hulls and was wide enough just for our boat. Hmmmm......we caught the mooring rope from one of the adjacent vessels on the propellor...oops! Norm and Clem worked the ropes tying us to the other vessels then undoing it's rope so Ken could unhook the rope from the propellor by diving under the catamaran. We (mostly Normm and Clem but we were giving lots of moral support) then retied the other boat, loosened ourselves off and took ourselves off to another spot on another berth which was also 100 metres away but on a totally different wharf. Another 4/10!

Berthing number three involved a very cranky harbour master, after a busy day with boats coming in in large numbers and all at once. We manged a very credible docking, with much yelling from him. At one stage Jane and i were pulling on the ropes to secure the bow and he was calling "pull, pull strong" which Jane doing for her size then he yells " what are you doing!"! "I don't know" was Jane's muttered reply. He gave ken a dressing down for trying docking number 2 and made it quite clear that you do not dock "anywhere in Croatia" without a harbourmaster to assist and ken is not to leave the helm at any time until the motor is shut off. Mind you if the first harbour master had given better directions we would all have been much better off!

Ok, all settled in time to go and find a restaurant for tea. We ended up at Galiicija, very very nice, very clean too. We all, other than Jane, sampled the local fish. When we had finished We were given a glass of grappe each on the house, something not all decided to try! Linda J did not join us as she was very unwell, we think with heat stroke. After a big sleep,she was much better this morning.

On the way back from dinner jane, sal and i stopped at a local galleria and purchased earrings and rings. The boys kept going and by the time we reached the icecream van the boys had vanished. Thinking they had gone back to the boat we bought ourselves an icecream and headed home. But coming behind us were the fellows with a bottle of wine. Apparently, they were walking down the street when a local man commented on ken's beard and called him "that man from Finland who we normally see at "Christmas", they stopped for a chat and were invited into a dark alley "for something they may like to see" and being the adventurous souls they are the fellows went along to the alley. The man then explained that they were picking and pressing grapes for this years vintage on the morrow and proceeded to show the lamb hanging in the fridge and the wheel of cheese ready for the feast afterwards. One thing led to another and they left with a bottle of last year's vintage red, a litre bottle mind you!

The bells started at 6 this morning, six peals followed by a joyous peal of many bells welcoming the new day, which quietened gradually to a single bell pealing gently on its own.

Ken and I went for an early morning walk, the light was great for photography, and saw the ferry leaving on it's first trip for the day. After brekky, sal and clem and Jane hired bicycles and went for a ride. Linda norm ken and myself intend to go for another walk and check out the higher reaches of Milna before we head off to Hyvar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



21st September 2012

Hi
Sounds like you are all having a fantastic time!! Both of us are completely jealous....trying to convince Mr Kelley to find the time for us to do he same...not expecting anything to happen in near futur,, but you never know. Fingers crossed!! :)) Keep up the good info... Weather here appalling....rune all day??? So enjoy what the Gods are supplying...

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb