Croatia!


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
May 28th 2008
Published: May 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Well Hello!

So the beach and swimming thing did not quite work out in Split, our first stop in Croatia since it was kind of rainy and stormy while we were there. Despite the weather we still managed to have fun. The city is beautiful. The old part of the city is walled with narrow little alleys everywhere and very slippery cobblestones. I had to do my granny shuffle all through town one night. It was pretty touristy in Split, but we found a restaurant favourite of the locals and ate there 3 times in 24 hours!

From Split we hitched a ferry to a nearby island called Hvar. This was a much smaller town than Split but still quite touristy and lots of fancy people walking around with their designer bags and all. Cassie spent two nights there with us so we got to enjoy sunbathing on the rocks by the ocean everyday, lounging in the afternoon and having a nice dinner in the town square where we could drink wine and people watch for a few hours. Unfortunately Cassie had to depart from Kelsey and I and make her way back home to Van. We will miss her...i will have to find a way to be more entertaining and Kelsey and I will both have improve our decision making skills! We stayed on in Hvar for 3 more nights after Cassie left and just relaxed. The most arduous part of our day was walking the grueling hill to our hostel. We have definitely taken on the whole siesta idea, it is just too hot to be out all day! There are no sandy beaches yet but there are spots on the rocks that have been paved so you can lay down. The ocean is cold but nicely refreshing and so far, to my relief, I have not found any scary things in the water besides some small fish and sea anenomies (sp?). I am sure that will change but I will enjoy the worry free swimming while it lasts.

We hopped on a ferry from Hvar to Korcula town on another island. As Hvar, it is a stopping place for cruise ships but is not quite as fancy-dancy. The old town of Korcula town is on a peninsula and the old town is walled with cool little shops and restaurants inside. Yesterday was Kelseys official graduation day, so she wore her grad cap (seen in a picture previously posted) whenever she could, I sang the graduation song and we took some cap throwing pictures. She even got some congratulations from strangers passing by noticing the home made felt grad cap on her head. We realized it is a good way to meet people so we might just alternate getting a chance to wear it every place we go and pretend we are graduating! I will post some pictures another time of the festivities.

We are hopping on a bus (Guss) EARLY tomorrow morning to go to Dubrovnik. We stay there a few nights then we are planning on heading up north a bit again to see Slovenia, Rommania and some other countries on the way that we didnt get to see before. We are about a month ahead of time so we figure we might as well do it while we are here. Plus, we really want to go vampire hunting in Transylvannia

Ciao for now,

K.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.2mb