Burning up the highway


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia
July 26th 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

............................................
You all may have noticed that the volume of blog entries in the past few days has dropped down to nil... Travelblog crashed and was down for a couple of days, and a lot of data has been lost on their part. So until I do some fixing, most, if not all of my previous blog entries will be inaccessible, and a lot of the pictures will have to be reloaded... Not good times.
............................................

In any case, we left Dubrovnik, and headed to the airport to pick up our rental car. Getting in and speeding out of the airport parking lot felt amazing. We were no longer backpackers at the whim of train and bus schedules, we were free! Dave took over the driving responsibilties, and I used my compass, travel guides, and maps to figure out where we were going.

The Croatian coast is awesome to drive on. The scenery is beautiful, the roads are easy to follow, and the drivers are not too crazy. It's a pretty good idea to have a car, because there are a bunch of little towns that are fun to stop into, or you can pull over by a nice looking beach, and take a swim whenever you feel like it.

So, we drove down and stopped into some small places, and decided to hang out to Brac island, squeezing the car on a ferry, and spending two nights in an old lady's extra room. Brac was nice: touristy, but not overrun. We drove into the mountains, and lounged on the Shark's tooth beach.

We took the ferry to Split, which we checked out for a few hours, and went on to Trogir which is a small walled town, that is unfortunately ultra-touristy. We crashed again at another old lady's extra room (great way to keep costs down), and drove up the coast to Zadar. We veered into the mountainous countryside, and stopped for a few hours in the Plitvice national park which is famous for its waterfalls. It was starting to get dark, and we wanted to get to Slovenia that night, so we drove off, out of Croatia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lakes on the roadsideLakes on the roadside
Lakes on the roadside

Just a few kilometers away from the coast, and you get a totally different biome.


Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb