Euro-Disney for Adults


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
July 23rd 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We got into Dubrovnik much later than expected, sweaty, and tired. We tried our hardest to stay up for a bit and check it out, but after an hour of light touring, we were exhausted and went back to our Villa to nap, which ended up being several hours. We also discovered that it was really hot in Dubrovnik, even at night.

The next day, we toured the city en force, along with hordes of other tourists. In fact, the place was tourist central. Unlike Kotor, it didn't seem like there was a single non-tourist related business set up. There were even people in medieval costumes parading up and down the city streets. As Dubrovnik was damaged in 1991 by the Yugoslavian army, it has been restored and the old walled city is in excellent condition. It doesn't even look that old. With various places offering live music, ridiculously high prices everywhere, and a look at what an old city must have looked like in it's hey-day, it reminded me a bit of Disney world.

Still, it was an interesting place to visit. The city is relatively huge, and like Pompei, really conveys the fact that a lot of these historic towns could really get to be quite big. There are a lot of interesting sites, but nothing really spell-binding aside from the wall that circles the city. In fact the wall was the highlight of our trip, it's big, well preserved, and gives you a great view of the city. Right outside the wall, there are different rock out-croppings to go swimming from into the clear blue Adriatic. The water was awesome and a great cool-off, but oddly, the Croats there were bringing buckets of water out of the sea to wash off the rocks, and got mad at us when we walked into the middle of their efforts. You can swim out to sea and get a really nice view of the city, but the real thrill is jumping off the higher rocks for an adrenaline rush, which both Dave and I did.

We were a bit dissapointed with Dubrovnik, having come from Kotor which was a living city, and having heard from other people about how great it was. The place just doesn't seem real. After a day of checking out the hive of tourists, and spending way too much money as it was near impossible to find cheap eats, we were ready to check out the rest of Croatia.

Check out Dave's blog, The gem of the Balkins, for more pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb