Sibenik and Zadar


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Zadar
July 16th 2017
Published: July 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

En-route to Rab Island we stopped in two towns to see the sights. Sibenik is very close to Skradin, lovely old town centre to wander around, the big cathedral of St James is particularly impressive. It took around one hundred years to build starting in 1431 and is a UNESCO world heritage site for its architecture. St Michael’s fortress has amazing views and is worth a visit for this, it was recently renovated, originally built in the 15thcentury.

Zadar is an old Roman town, ruins are scattered around the town, the forum being the most impressive area. The main reason to go was to hear the sea organ and sun salutation on the waterfront. The sea organ is an art installation designed by Nikola Bašić that uses the sea to make random organ-like noises, it sounds surprisingly harmonious and is quite relaxing to listen to. Next to it, by the same artist, is a large circle set in the pavement that harness solar energy during the day and produces a light show at night. We watched the sun set from there, but is was so crowded with people on the installation that the light show was disappointing, I’m sure on a quieter day it would be much better.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 28; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb