Overland 1972 - Day 22


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Zadar
March 4th 1972
Published: March 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 22 - Saturday 4th March

The ferry arrived in Split at 6am and as it would not leave for 2 hours, we could have some time to explore. We walked along the promenade and found a foreign exchange bureau - £1=43.80 Dinar. We found a local market selling fruit, vegetables and cheese etc. I bought some tuna, milk, oranges and some fresh bread which still warm. The market was a really enjoyable experience thanks to the stall owners who were very friendly and understanding. One of the interesting aspects of a long journey is how food changes from country to country especially the bread and cheese. Split was noticeably cleaner than most of the cities visited to date. We wandered through a nearby shopping arcade and had a look in most of the shops before returning to the ferry. We seemed to be the only travellers on the ferry from Zadar and so we were pleased to meet Tony - a Canadian heading for Athens and then Israel.

We were fortunate with the journey as the sun shone and the sea was calm. The ferry passed through the coastal inslands and although the vegetation was similar, there was lots to see. It was a very peaceful and relaxing journey. Michael left the boat at Korcula to buy some food and we were certain that he would miss the boat - oh it was a 20 minute stop not 10 minutes as we thought !

The ferry arrived in Dubrovnik on time somehow making up for the late start. There were several people on the jetty offering accommodation. We knew a girl named Meja from Bournemouth but unfortunately we could not locate her. We found the Post Office for mail and then waited in the square for best offers on accommodation. After some negotiation and a checking a couple of places, Michael and Heather stayed at one house and I shared with Tony at the sisters house for 15 dinars. The room was very comfortable and clean.

There was time for a quick walk around Dubrovnik before nightfall. The main throughfares in the centre were very clean and the buildings impressive. There was a nice atmosphere and a noticeable change in people's dress with lots of the women wearing traditional styles and black. Yes we would enjoy our time here. There were several nice looking little restaurants and I ordered veal stew and chips in a very tasty sauce for 20 dinar - the best food for several days. Back to the guest house and a chat with a new guest - a young Yugoslavian man.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb