Overland 1972 - Day 23


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
March 5th 1972
Published: March 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 23 - Sunday 5th March

A good night's sleep. The room looked out over some palm trees and an orange tree but alas this scene was not reflected in today's weather - cloudy, overcast and threatening. First stop of the day was a pastry shop for a coffee and two delicious cakes. Tony was leaving for Athens today. We walked to the harbour and then along a oneway street in search of main road to Kotor - he was planning to hitch-hike. We walked for 4Km right under the cliffs and admired the magnificent coastline. There were a few more western travellers around in Dubrovnik and we stopped for a friendly chat with a group of five - American, Argentinian and British. At last we arrived at a reasonable hitching point and I left Tony to start his journey. As I walked back to the city centre, it started to pour with rain and for the first time I was soaked. The Yugoslavian lad at the guest house had been joined by another group of Americans and a Japanese lad. Later in the day (still raining and colder) I went to Michael and Heather's room to discuss the next stage of the route and to check bus timetables and cost - maybe we will hitch-hike.

We headed for the same restaurant as last night for another magnificent and filling meal. I returned to my room and although feeling slightly lonely, it was encouraging today to see that there were several other travellers on the road - it may sound sound strange in today's "internet and Lonely Planet world" but in 1972 it was very unusual to meet people who had travelled and therefore we had no idea what to expect. Despite the weather, I was very impressed by Dubrovnik and its nice atmosphere.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb