Croatia Part 2 - Hvar, Split and surrounds


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
June 18th 2013
Published: June 26th 2016
Edit Blog Post

18 June
6am ferry to Hvar, fast ferry takes 1.5 hours, catamaran. Had breakfast and checked out a place to stay, got a great apartment, very clean and new, for 40 Euro, right near the old town, bus depot and supermarket! Walked up to Fortress for the view and around the old town, lovely town! Very hot today, and sunny. Took a bus ride around to Jelsa, via Starigrad and some small villages, bus driver was crazy! Drove so fast, even round the corners! Witnessed a German tourist v Croat bus driver dispute, very funny!
Went round for a swim at the beach then back for dinner, had our ham and salad, plus potatoes, home cooked!
Went to a 9:30 pm Concert at the Franciscan cloister of the old monastery - Split Minders/ Partet with Jasenka Markova on vocals and flute. Part of Hvar summer festival, a really great jazz blues band from Split! Amazing, all for 10 NZD each. Bought their CD we were so impressed!

19 June
Off again! Had a sleep in, then packed up, got the bus down to catch the ferry at Starigrad 11.30 dep, ferry took 2 hours to Split, past islands and mainland,
got to Split about 1.30pm. Met a woman who wanted to offer us accommodation, she seemed a bit odd, a middle aged woman wearing a battered old hat, but it was so hot and sticky that we decided to go have a look, she lead us over some waste land and across the railway lines, just starting to wonder where we would end up! But it turned out to be a really nice apartment with double bed, balcony turned into a dining room, kitchen, and good bathroom with a real shower door!! Mira was very nice, one day she brought us 2 beers, another day a bowl of cherries, also fresh towels etc, for 40E a night. Air con too!
Had a rest and recovery from the heat, then went out to have a look around, and get some supplies. Had a very late lunch at a place down the road, traditional Croatian food, meatballs and a meat dish, both with spuds! Went for a swim in the early evening at our local beach Bacvice, only 3 mins from our flat. Hundreds of people there, but a big beach, everyone in the water playing games! Quite a sight! Temp still over 30 even at 8 pm! Had a snack tea, boiled eggs.

20 June
With the heat, that we decided not to go further north to Zadar, so booked 2 extra nights, felt comfortable there at Mira's, and too hot to travel too far. Booked a day trip for Plitvice Lakes. Very hot day, hottest June day recorded ever in Split at 34.6c. We really noticed it, went down to Diocletian's Palace, wandered around, got hot and flustered. Calmed down, went up the Cathedral tower, and the cathedral, baptistery, treasury and crypt. Had a good look around the palace, great place.
Went back to base to cool down, then to beach for a swim about 7, lots of people there again. Went to dinner down near Gregorius Nin, had a traditional Dalmatian dish very nice, and chicken fillet stuffed! Nice red Croatian house wine.

21 June
Up early for a 7:30 departure to the Plitvice Lakes, 24 on bus, very good small bus, guide Evor was very good, very informative, and excellent English. Stopped at cafe en route for morning tea, tried a special Dalmatian cake, walnuts, poppy seeds, cheesecake, apple etc. Got to lakes about 11:30, walked
through the park past all the smaller lakes, then took a boat ride over the big lake, then more walking, back to base on a small road train. Fantastic place, waterfalls and lakes everywhere. Very hot again today. Back to Split, stopping en route for a late lunch 4pm. Had spit roasted lamb and pork, tasty but decided we are a bit over meat! Got back to Split around 9pm, long day but good.

22 June
Had a bit of a sleep in, then got the 9:45 boat down to Trogir. A UNESCO world heritage site, lovely old town on a small island between mainland and another island, Slatine. Wandered around the town, cathedral and bell tower, great views, then stopped for lunch in old town. Vey nice mixed fish grill with a glass of good white wine. Got the boat over to the beach, just 15 mins or so to a nice beach area, had a couple of swims, hot day again! Back to Trogir, bought some plum brandy at the market, had an ice cream, got the bus back to Split about 5:30. Good day out again, had scrambled eggs for tea back at base.

23 June
Packed up, talked to Loma and Ian, skyped Alister, left Mira's, checked bags at port then went off to the Palace to see the changing of the guards etc. Wandered about, did some people watching in the square, had a light chicken salad lunch at "No Stress Cafe" in a nice square -interesting name! Walked up Marjan, hot but great views and quite a lot of shade, walked along to old church then down to the sea, Kate had a swim at the beach, walked back along the seafront to Split. Got the luggage and hopped on the Blue Line Ferry, twin cabin for 80 Euro total, pretty good price! Meals very average, had pasta. Smooth voyage across to Italy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Partet concert Partet concert
Partet concert

in the old Franciscan monastery, Hvar






Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb