Sensational Split


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
September 4th 2011
Published: January 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had another free day in Split after our Bosnian day trip, which we used to check out the incredible old town dominated by Diocletion’s Palace– one of the world’s most impressive Roman monuments. Diocletrion was a 3rd century AD Roman Emperor who decided to retire to Split. I can understand why, it’s a beautiful harbour town and combined with the fact that it had sulphur deposits. The palace itself is a huge area taking up several blocks from the harbour.

We kicked off the morning by climbing the Bell Tower, which was a very narrow steep staircase, but at the top we were rewarded with excellent 360 degree views of the city and harbour area.

From there we went to Marjan Hill, a tough climb in the 30 degree plus weather but worth it once we got to the top of the gardens as we had a great view overlooking the entire city and there happened to be a bar there to help us cool down.

In the afternoon we went to the Split Museum, which showed off the impressive Roman ruins of the city, but the real highlight of Split is just getting a gelato (they are everywhere), and walking around the beautiful harbour. We were glad to get the extra day in Split as unlike Dubrovnik it isn't over the top touristy and is actually just a really nice place to visit.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb