Millwall Rugby Tour - Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
April 28th 2004
Published: April 28th 2004
Edit Blog Post

A dreary day in SplitA dreary day in SplitA dreary day in Split

No wind, plenty of grey clouds though
A 26-member strong Millwall Tour party left Stanstead Airport on Wednesday 28th April. After a brief stop over in Ancona, Italy they arrived in Split, Croatia via an overnight Ferry. Nada Split & Croatian rugby player Ivan Safradin, who would be their guide for the next few days, greeted the Millwall tourists at the port.

The following day the Millwall Tourists headed out early to go White Water Rafting on one of Splits coastal rivers. Although one boat capsized, a good time was had by all with several photos to prove it. After lunch at the rafting site Millwall headed straight to the only rugby ground in Split to take on the home team Nada Split.


The home side, which contained 11 Croatian International players, were too much for the tired tourists defeating them 76-7.

Playing in his last game from Millwall RFC, Aussie Prop Sam Webb scored the only try for the tourists, which was duly converted by fly half Nick Tiffin.

After the match, the Millwall party donned Roman outfits and hit the streets of Split.

Battle-hardened from their hit out with Croatia’s finest International rugby players, the Millwall boys headed out to
Basking in the SunshineBasking in the SunshineBasking in the Sunshine

The tour group sits in the sun at Nada Split Rugby Club
the small Croatian island, Brac.

Once there, the tour party split up into small groups to explore the island and it’s local culture. Upon returning to the main land, the players headed out for their final night in Split.

The following day, Millwall rose early to check out of their hotel and head straight to the rugby ground once more. This time, they would take part in a 3-way rugby competition featuring local Croatian team Sinj and fellow Londoners Old Becs, also on their end of season tour.

Millwall, up against Old Becs first up dominated possession and had all the power up front, scoring an easily worked forward try to flanker Rick Hermon on the back of a line-out win inside the Becs 22m.

Where Old Becs were weaker in the forwards, they more than made up for it in their outside backs with speed to burn, earning them two quick tries to put them in front.

Millwall hit back with a well supported try to scrum half Matt Shorrock but again, Old Bec’s backline was too strong, breezing away for another long distance try and winning the match 17-10.

Whilst Old Becs
InsomniaInsomniaInsomnia

John the Greek - we've been here two days and he hasn't slept yet
took on Sinj in the second match, Millwall regrouped and set out to dominate the croatian forward pack. The cry of “up the jumper” was called from captain Brian Linsday and Millwall knew exactly what they had to do.

Millwall did exactly that, dominating the scrums and the line outs in an impressive display of forward rugby.

However like their previous match, Millwall had no answer to the speedy Sinj backline as they ran in a 29-7 victory with Millwall’s only try coming from flyhalf Nick Tiffin.

Following the match, the three teams celebrated with a traditional croatian meal, several singing competitions and the now famous drinking race - of which Millwall were easy winners!

The time had then come for Millwall to head to the ferry port to once again board the overnight ferry back to Ancona. After what seemed like a long tour, the team was glad to return home.

“The tour was very successful, maybe not on the field but fun was had by all, the other teams commented on the excellent organisation asking “did we fly with Millwall Airlines as well” on
seeing all our songbooks and tour programmes!” said Hon
Arrival in SplitArrival in SplitArrival in Split

We arrived in Croatia by over-night ferry from Ancona, Italy.
Secretary Olly Arthey.

“The rugby was very hard and despite losing, we got to play a team that included 11
international players. That was an excellent experience.”

“At least we won the drinking competition.” He said.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Brac - Seafood LunchBrac - Seafood Lunch
Brac - Seafood Lunch

The foreigners left the group and sought a seafood lunch...just like back home!
Just the AussiesJust the Aussies
Just the Aussies

Me, Adam, Sam & Keiran on the ferry back from Brac
On our way homeOn our way home
On our way home

After discovering that a beer on the ferry back to Ancona costs 4 euros, we bought 10 cases (yes..10) of cheap Croatian beer onto the ferry with us. In the wee hours of the morning, eight of us - now to be know as "the last eight" finished off the final beers.
View from AboveView from Above
View from Above

The view from our room
Here for a good time, not a long timeHere for a good time, not a long time
Here for a good time, not a long time

Out on our last night in Split


Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb