Split


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
August 29th 2007
Published: August 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our full day in Split started by paying a visit to some Roman ruins nearby at the former settlement of Salona. It was very hot out there with little shade, but it was quite interesting seeing the remains of the amphitheatre and some other buildings.

After catching the bus back to Split we explore the basement level of the former Diocletian palace. Whilst the above ground levels have long since been demolished and replaced with more recent buildings, the basement level still exists beneath the old town. It was fun walking around all the underground rooms.

The above ground area of the Split old town is also quite charming, with plenty of marble floored pedestrian walkways and squares. We even found some people masquarading as Roman soldiers guarding one of the entrances.

After our walk around the town we headed off to the beach which is located conveniently near the old town, ferry terminal, bus station and railway station. This was likely to be our last swim until Nice in France so we had to make sure we enjoyed it! When in the water we noticed that a lot of the locals (particularly the men) like to stand in large circles in the water hitting small balls into the air and not letting them fall into the water. It looked like fun if you had a suitable level of coordination.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb