Krka National Park: Waterfalls and Steps!


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Sibenik
September 26th 2022
Published: September 27th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We had a wonderful day today exploring Krka National Park. It was a day of waterfalls, a beautiful monastery, and lots of steps (over 26,000 according to my fitbit).

We started the day with a coffee and yogurt in the room, then walked to the coffee shop/bakery by the bus station to pick up a coffee and sandwiches for lunch later. Our mini van picked us up shortly after 8 and we were on the road for Krka National Park. The park is enormous, extending from the Adriatic near Šibenik to the mountains of the interior. We drove for about 20 minutes from Šibenik, and then walked for about two hours, walking on boardwalks past the Krka River and passing waterfall after waterfall, and climbing lots of steps.
When we got to the park about 8:30 we were the only ones around, which amazed Tamara as she says it is usually packed with people. Maybe because the forecast was for rain, it wasn’t as busy as usual.

It was a very enjoyable walk, passing so many beautiful views. It was cloudy but there was no rain (it ended up not raining the entire day, except for a teeny bit of light rain later in the evening). We were very happy it turned out much better than expected. Tamara told us on the ride to Krka that she had good news, the trip to the Kornati Islands tomorrow is a go! We all were very happy to hear that.

As we were finishing up our walk and waiting for our mini van, several big tour buses were coming in, so we were really happy that we had avoided these big crowds. As we were walking up to meet the mini van, we stopped at a table where a vendor was selling dried figs and nuts and candied orange peel, and got a little container of almonds and candied orange. Candied orange peel seems to be a speciality of this area of Croatia, and is really good.

In the mini van driving to our next stop, we air-dropped each other photos we had taken (this reminded me of doing the same thing in Morocco). We made a stop first to a viewpoint of Visovac Island, in the middle of Visovac Lake. The island is teeny, and contains a monastery and a church. It is very picturesque.

We then continued to another beautiful area of the park, this time walking down over 600 steps to the Krka river (thankfully we were not walking up!), for more beautiful views. We had our lunches at a picnic table by the river. On the way down to the river, we stopped at “Ozidana Pecina Cave”, which is a Neolithic era cave, also known for being a home to bats. We did see one bat flying away, but we were suspicious the other bat which was just hanging out on the ceiling might have been a prop (since it didn’t fly away when we were close – but it did seem to be moving slightly so maybe it was a real bat). Anyway, it was an interesting cave to see.

This area where we had lunch was where the Krka Hydro Dam was located, which was the second hydro dam of its type in the world (the first was at Niagara Falls – put into operation only two days before the Krka Hydro Dam). The Krka Hydro Dam was in operation until World War I.

After lunch, we continued walking, back up to where the mini van picked us up, and then drove to Manojlovac waterfall, which is the highest waterfall in the park at 32.2 metres.

We continued on to the Krka Monastery, which is a Serbian Orthodox monastery. The oldest part dates back to the 4th C, and the newer part is from the 18th C. It was founded in 1346, and is dedicated to the Archangel Michael. It is very beautiful inside, with bright frescoes (these were repainted around 2010) and 17th C. icons. There are catacombs under the church, which we saw as well. Legend has it that St. Paul visited this church.

We left the park and drove back to Šibenik, arriving about 4 pm. We dropped into St. James’ Cathedral, because we weren’t able to go inside during our walking tour the other day as there was a wedding going on. It is very impressive inside, although there was scaffolding up around the stained glass rose window, so we couldn’t get a good view of it. After the cathedral, Susan and I left the others and walked through the old town streets, up lots and lots of stairs, to St. Michael’s Fortress. I had wanted to climb up to the Fortress the day we got to Šibenik, but there wasn’t enough time before our walking tour and we didn’t want to go afterwards, so I was happy to see it today. Parts of the Fortress date to the 14th – 16th C, but a lot of it has been reconstructed. There are amazing views of Šibenik and the surrounding area from up there. Next to the Fortress is a cemetery, and there was a funeral going on when we arrived. We didn‘t feel right about wandering around the cemetery with the funeral underway, so we just saw it from the Fortress.

After we walked down lots of steps back into the old town, I went to the jewellery store that our local guide had told me she got her Šibenik button that fit her pandora bracelet, but they didn’t have it. We wandered around and found a place for dinner (salad and pasta), then walked back to our apartment, stopping to pick up yogurt for tomorrow morning.
Tomorrow we will be going on an all-day boat ride to the Kornati Islands archipelago, so I hope the weather turns out to be as good as it was today, or we’ll be cruising in the rain! Stay tuned …


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Buying snacksBuying snacks
Buying snacks

Susan, me, and Jenny
Our snacks!Our snacks!
Our snacks!

Almonds and candied orange peel
Roski Slap - the necklaces Roski Slap - the necklaces
Roski Slap - the necklaces

Krka National Park
Susan on the wooden walkwaySusan on the wooden walkway
Susan on the wooden walkway

Hold up that boulder!
Roman ruins - BurnamRoman ruins - Burnam
Roman ruins - Burnam

The site is still being excavated
Krka MonasteryKrka Monastery
Krka Monastery

Serbian Orthodox
Views from the Fortress Views from the Fortress
Views from the Fortress

With the cemetery in the foreground


27th September 2022

The park looks stunning; what a treat to have avoided crowds! You sure are getting steps upon steps upon steps in this trip 🙂
27th September 2022

Lots of steps
We sure are! Thanks for reading my blog Joanna!
29th September 2022
Visovac Island

Stunning beauty
The joys of travel.
29th October 2022

No Rain!
Wow, what a perfect day! The forecast rain seemed to keep the tour buses away, and yet it still didn't rain - brilliant! The Krka National Park looks amazing, somewhere I'd love to hike myself and wander around. Glad you got to see St James' Cathedral in the end. There seems so much history and culture in Croatia, I really had no idea! Very inspiring to read about your travels there, thank you 😊
31st October 2022

No rain!
I was so happy the weather turned out so nice that day - and Krka National Park was just beautiful.
5th November 2022
Views from the Fortress

Cemeteries on hills
Your blog just reminded me of a country we visited where they had their cemeteries on hills so the living could see the candles/lights of their loved ones at night... I'll have to look up our old blogs to check where that was. How lucky the rain held off for that beautiful walk. Love the red roofs of Croatia :)
6th November 2022
Views from the Fortress

Cemeteries on Hills
The cemetery was on such a beautiful spot, and looked really interesting (we didn’t wander around as there was a funeral underway). I wonder if it was Mexico with the cemeteries on hills? Likely that’s common in lots of countries. I loved the red terracotta tile roofs too!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb