A Journey Inland...


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Rogoznica
August 8th 2014
Published: August 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

The crew looking for Četniks.
Today began with a cup of coffee and then 7 of us headed up the coast to Sibenik. As we got to the city that was home to a young Dražen Petrović, we headed inland towards the medieval fortress town of Knin. Dad, Mike, Tom, Tomi, Mariah, Kailee and I traveled through a part of Croatia we had never been to before. With the looks of many of the buildings along the way, the war does not seem to be 20 years in the past. Mike also spotted the usual sign that warned of travel off of the road due to the possibility of land mines left behind.

When we arrived in Knin, we climbed the hill in the van to the parking spot at the base of the fortress. We visited the gift shop, (which was full of Croatia military pictures from the 1990s, signed the guest book with a nationalistic saying that made the older worker proud it seemed, paid our 20 kuna entry fee (each) and then began our journey towards the top of this multilevel complex. After making it to the next tier of our journey, we suggested dad rest. That, however, was not going to
imageimageimage

Heading into the fortress.
happen. Dad, being his old self, made the trip all of the way to the top. We were quite impressed and happy with the fact that he was able to make it!

After making our way back down to the entry of the fortress, we made our way into the town of Knin and found a place to eat. It was quite interesting as our waitress could not understand English. After finding out what was actually available from the menu, it was stuffed peppers for Mike and I, Stroganoff for Tom, Ražnjići for dad and salads for the girls. What great food! It was one of the better traditional meals we have had on the trip and besides...it was ridiculously cheap. It cost 8 kuna for salads and 35 kuna for Ražnići. It proved less than half of the typical price for the same foods everywhere else we ate. It was great to see something different off the beaten path. Our waitress was shocked when we gave her the tip. I think we made her day.

After the two hour drive back to Rogožnica, we caught a bit of sun and then headed to the Centar for supper.
imageimageimage

The flag....
Had a nice meal tonight at the Konoba Mario. A lot more people were out on the town since it was Friday I think. Back at the hotel now. Kids are back playing 500 Rummy tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

imageimage
image

The plan of the Knin's fortress.
imageimage
image

Making the climb.
imageimage
image

Getting closer to the top.
imageimage
image

A plaque honoring A Tudjman visit.
imageimage
image

One can only try to imagine what this view looked like from time to time over the past 500 years.
imageimage
image

Through the tunnel.
imageimage
image

Dad talking to our waitress after lunch in Knin at the Buffet Gagi.
imageimage
image

Abbey and Ayden along Rogožnica's waterfront after dinner.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb