Hvar, Hvar, Croatia.


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Hvar
September 5th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hvar comma Hvar comma Croatia fullstop

We were sad that we had to finally leave Dubrovnik this morning.
We travelled up the coast which was strangely not anywhere near as impressive as we had thought.

One of the highlights was stopping at the bus station in Polce because we felt toilet.
We were greeted by a large lesbian woman in overalls who seemed to have taken on the role of toilet policeman and charged us 2.50 kuna (67c) each for using the toilet.
We did however get a souvenir toilet admission pass, perhaps we can use it again and again?

We tried our luck catching the car ferry from Drvenik and as luck would have it, managed to get straight on and got to the tail tip of Hvar island in only about 30 minutes.

The drive through the centre of the island was an experience! The roads are about two thirds the width of normal roads with large rocks either side. You are advised to drive down the middle of the road and hold your ground so as best to force your opponent off the road.

The scenery on the drive was lovely in a
Hvar 2Hvar 2Hvar 2

Bongle likes it here
'someone has taken to this place with a flame-thrower' kind of way.
Apparantly, there is an oily bush on this island which catches fire easily. Nice One!

The small towns we passed through looked like something out of a bad WWII movie and we really wondered what was so special about this place until about an hour later, the tiny road turned into a 3 kilometre long tunnel beneath a mountain and emerged as a motorway which took us to Hvar, a very special little medieval seaside town.

We found a nice little Apartman (Apartment) with water views and settled in for the night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Hvar 3Hvar 3
Hvar 3

Our Apartman was right on the waterfront
Hvar 4Hvar 4
Hvar 4

Looks good at night too
Hvar 5Hvar 5
Hvar 5

Little streets in Croatia are cool
Hvar 6Hvar 6
Hvar 6

Enyoying a drink
Hvar 7Hvar 7
Hvar 7

Not to be outdone


6th September 2007

Chilling out
Hi - what can I say? It looks like the perfect holiday to me! Great that you got a glimpse of the surrounding countries. Yeah, lots of mature women barring the entrances of toilets...what a horrible job. In Croatia they teach things like philosophy in high schools, brilliant. Do most of the people you speak to, speak English? Not suggesting you engage someone in a philosophical discussion! Well, maybe...
7th September 2007

Pattern
Is Hvar, Hvar, a bit like New York, New York?
8th September 2007

More pics please!
Hiyas Just wondering how you are doing, where you are on your journey....what it looks like in the north of Croatia...if you are making good time...if there are internet cafes along the coast...if you are learning any of the language...if you have come across any other New Zealanders or Brits...so many wonderings Mama

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb