Lokrum, Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
September 8th 2017
Published: September 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Lokrum is a small uninhabited island nature reserve just 600 metres from the old town of Dubrovnik. It is well worth at least a half day visit away from the hustle and bustle. Boats leave every half hour in the high season, although you can't stay on the island overnight due to it being cursed by a bunch of monks. Yup.

One of the highlights of the island was its 'Dead Sea Lake'. As the name suggests, it is a small lake with particularly high salt content, making it more buoyant than normal sea water. I just had to try it out. You could definitely feel the difference while floating on your back, plus the water had weird hot and cold pockets. There was also a really cool cave to explore that could only be reached from the water.

My other favourite thing about the island, which I hadn't even known before I got there, was that rabbits roamed free here. They were only introduced fairly recently, and while there were some wild rabbits there were also plenty of domestic pet rabbits let loose. The rabbits were so nonplussed at us crazy humans excitedly taking pictures of them. In fact, I may even have nabbed one in the botanical gardens for a quick cuddle. She clearly used to be someone's pet and didn't mind at all. Plus it got her away from her over-keen admirer for a few minutes! I loved this wee cuddle, it helped ease an affliction I frequently suffer from when travelling, AWS - Animal Withdrawal Symptoms!

The restaurant on the island was definitely my favourite of our whole trip. Not only was the food good, but a baby bunny was just casually hopping about looking for scraps! I've become accustomed to being accosted by stray cats in this manner when dining outdoors, but this was a first for me. So, so cute!

The island was also home to peacocks roaming free, ruins of a pretty old monastery and other great swimming spots. I'd definitely recommend a trip across to Lokrum for anyone visiting Dubrovnik.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb