Day 6 - Dubrovnik with the tour group


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
July 7th 2015
Published: July 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Oops! forgot to mention yesterday that as we were finishing up from the dining room, a whole bunch of young guys in yellow t shirts arrive in the dining room and attack the food. Closer Inspection and they have the Australian coat of arms and AIS on the shirts. Then we see water polo so Chris catechies one of the more mature guys (coach material) and quizzes him. Sure enough, they are the Australian water polo team over here for the world championships.

Any hoo, this is now today's post and get the early call and up and at 'em....

At the bus by allocated 0800 start. Today we are doing a guided walking tour of the old town. Go through the safety video and play with the "whispers". This is a radio receiver so we can hear the guides comments. A bit of stuffing around but eventually get them working.

Come into town from a different direction which is interesting. Dropped off at the same place we started our walk from yesterday. Only 1 cruise ship In today so very few people around at this time.

Do the tour which is very interesting, then after that (around 1030) we are on our own. Tour bus will be back at 1300 if we want a free trip back, or we get the public bus again. We decide to do the wall walk. The old town is surrounded with a wall that joins the 4 different fortresses. Good idea at the time.

Lots of steps to get up and by the time we reach the first fort area, it is really hot. They have a juice bar so we sit and have expensive juices (and a toilet stop). Get half way and have to decide to exit or keep going. We keep going. The views from the wall are great, get to see how the city is laid out, look into back yards, etc, and even found a basketball court mixed among the houses/buildings. Strange court, though, one of the goals has to be at 45 degrees to the court to fit it in........

Finally get to nearly the end and the heat has got us. Exit is the strategy and we then find a cool cafe to have a cold beer.....

Wander around a bit more, some food and ice cream and then we catch the public bus - missed the tour bus. Back to the hotel, straight down to the pool for a refreshing swim, then get ready for our excursion - scenic boat cruise and dinner......

Into the bus and to the port. Nice little boat waiting for us. Away and past the beach we were at on our first day, then past another that is a nudist beach - sure enough, boys showing their stuff. Great way to see the coast. We go past the old town which looks very different from the water. Lots of big fast boats around. Get to our restaurant which is in a cove with its own beach have to walk over little Peebles to get to the restaurant. Some of our group have really rocked up tonight and their high heels don't work too well in these pebbles.

Food ok, but the sunset is fantastic. Back tot he old town by boat then a walk through the streets before we catch our bus back. Go out on the terrace and they have a 4 piece guitar and mandolin group tonight great harmony singing then off to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1mb