Dubrovmnik, the romance continue, this time with a little more style....


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
August 11th 2010
Published: August 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dubrovnik, just a short ride from Vela Luka....and another world to it all together. First tourists are here in mass, so it is important to be organized...meaning, to explore, wake up early...or go late in the day. Our little home for two days, The Hilton Imperial. Only open for five years, the place has been nicely renovated to his Grand old style. But the best part of it is the lounge...slightly more private...with a little terrace on the fourth floor facing the sea and the Old Town...and they serve you good croatian wines all day long. As the hotel is only 200 meters from the Old Town, this was our "camp base"...some walking...some lounging...some more walking....

We stay here for 2 nights. we took our time to visit the Old Town during the afternoon, but also at after sunset...but the best must have been at 7am, when the tourists are not yet there.

The Croatian have done a wonderful renovation job. Think about it, less than 20 years ago, starting in 1991, the Old Town was bombed down for months, and we all could see it on our TV...sad reality, but they seems to have been able to get over it pretty well.

We also enjoyed touring the walls of the city. This must be the best money making for the city at 10euros a head...but hey, it's an easy way to find "renovation money", so why not. to when the day you've got to pay an entry fee to save Venice? So on the wall. If you do it, do like us, keep it for the very end of the day. In summer, they close at 7pm. It takes around 2 hours to tour properly the full "walls-walk". And it is a fantastic experience.

Now, let's speak about what surround the Old Town...Croatia has become in many places a paradise for package-tourists...really not my cup of tea, so I will for sure not spend days here...the water look very nice, but the beaches are over crowded...normal when you see the size of those. We nevertheless enjoyed great service, very friendly locals and very nice seafood, the good pack to have a great experience. I wanted to come here for years, now it's done, and the Old Town has clearly not disappointed us, it was simply beautiful.

The nice thing about staying in nice hotel, is that you also meet nice people who garantee you some nice talks around a glass of wine...or many. Our little lounge terrace was the best for it...wish I had the same view everyday from my balcony (even if I'm very happy to what i have at home!).

I would never spend a full week in Dubrovnik, cannot stand the groups, cannot stand so many tourists....but we still enjoy this little corner of Europe history!

Our next entry is a little to the South....but as usual, for this, be patient.

With love...from a very seriously romantic place...from three of us...


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



15th August 2010

ice-cream
I love the ice cream time !!! Leslie, remember... at home you had also one ice cream time each day !!!!! Happy boy ! I miss you my english teacher !!! Kiiiiiisssssssssssss

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb