Day One of Mediterranean Cruise


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
November 15th 2009
Published: December 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first port stop, we arrived In Dubrovnik in the morning where we took a bus from the cruise port for 10 euro per person roundtrip. It dropped us off at Dubrovnik's Old Town. First site to be seen was an old fortress with emerald green waters. Instantly we meet a friendly dog who loves to get belly rubs.

We took our time with leisure stroll through the Old Town within the famous city walls providing a fortress around the old town. It was clean and beautiful with red tiled roofs and old European architecture. We sampled the local grappa, which made you close one eye and think twice about taking another sip. Of course, we did 😊 .

We made no schedule and did not look at any map to see where we were going. We ended up finding a sign (which I read about and thought we would never find) that said "Cold Drinks" pointing to a tiny walkway through the old fortress wall. It opened up to a the cliff side where they serve really COLD drinks overlooking the seaside. The place is called "Buza". We enjoyed the local beer, basked in the beautiful November sun that we were lucky to have this time of year. During the summer, the place is more active and many people jump off the cliffs and swim in the emerald waters below.

It was time to shell out the euro for our ticket up the steep steps and take a walk around the city walls. It was worth it. The bird's eye view out to the sea and into the city was spectacular. We took our time and made it around the city in about 2 hours.

Time goes by fast when you have a ship schedule to catch, so back on the bus to the cruise ship for an early departure and opportunity to take an afternoon nap.

Croatia - We're intrigued and look forward to returning where we can really spend some quality time and taste some local cuisine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 194, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb